News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Uniform details of dragoner regiments?

I'm painting up some miniatures of World War I German dragoners and I'm finding it hard to find any references for feldgrau uniforms. There's tons of information on all the dunkelblau waffenrock pre-war stuff, but not much on what was actually worn during the war. Are there any reference charts with colors of cuffs, piping, shoulderboards, etc. that anyone knows of, or any book with descriptions of these details for all the dragoner regiments while worn in the field, 1914-18?

Edited by Matt Richards

There are several different color pipings and piping combinations for dragoons. All dragoon feldgrau waffenrocks have a piped standing collar, Swedish piped cuff and are piped along the bottom of the skirt. What regiment are you trying to paint? This is the M-1910 waffenrock worn by a Rittmeister for 2. Badisches Dragoner-Regt. Nr. 21. The piping is "lemon" yellow.

Ay, there's the rub! I'm not quite sure which regiment I should paint them as, and was looking for all the variations to try and choose from. From what small amount of research I've been able to find, yellow piping like in your photo was very popular in Dragoner units.

Actually, out of the 28 dragoon regiments, only five wore yellow piping (Dr. 4,8,16,21 and 26) and Dr 16 actually wore white piping on the collar and cuff and yellow everywhere else. Your color options for line dragoons (w/o litzen) are poppy red, black, pink, yellow, white and burgandy red. Of these, there are a few with the white piping on the collar and cuff (like Dr 16 above) but with the other color options You just have to decide which piping color you like or which regiment you want to represent