News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Erich Rüdiger von Wedel, Ulanen-Regiment 1

Hi!

I am looking for the career data, promotions and awards of Erich Rüdiger von Wedel, who was a friend of Manfred Freiherr von Richthofen. An army Ensign pre-war, and in 1914 was with the Ulanen-Regiment Kaiser Alexander III. von Rußland (Westpreußisches) Nr. 1. Joined Jagdstaffel 11 on 23 April 1918. Ending the war with 13 victories. Received the Knight`s Cross with Swords of the Royal Hohenzollern House Order on 29 September 1918 and the Iron Cross 1st Class. He was a friend of Hermann Wilhelm Göring and Wolfram von Richthofen. Joined the Luftwaffe in the 1930s and served as aerodrome commander.

Wedel, Erich Rüdiger Ernst Otto von
    Grossgut, near Neuwedell
    + 02.07.1954
    Salzhausen, near Lüneburg

When he joined the Ulanen-Regiment Nr. 1? Where he learned to fly?

Thanks in advance,

Igor

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Igor,

von Wedel left the Kadettenkorps on 22.03.1909 as a "charakterisierter Fähnrich." He was promoted to Fähnrich on 21.12.1909. I do not have any of his later promotions.

Andy

Thank you very much for your reply, Andy! Very important information for me!

Erich Rüdiger von Wedel joined the Ulanen-Regiment Nr. 1 on 22.03.1909? He was a Eskadron Chef? When he was transferred to the Luftstreitkräfte?

Best wishes,

Igor

• 10 months later...

Hello,

I need some help identifying the awards on these two photos of Erich-Rüdiger von Wedel. I am sorry, the photos are very small. I have no photos larger.

I know the following military awards:

1. 1914 Eisernes Kreuz I. Klasse (Awarding date not known to me)

2. Ritterkreuz des Kgl. Preuss. Hausordens von Hohenzollern mit Schwertern (29.09.1918)

3. Grossherzoglich Hessische Tapferkeitsmedaille (28.05.1915)

4. ??? (mit Schwertern ?)

5. 1914 Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse (Awarding date not known to me)

6. Flugzeugführer-Abzeichen (Awarding date not known to me)

What is the fourth military order?

Thanks in advance,

Igor