News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help With German General Signature

Here is a most unusual item. It is a signed 1899 US silver certificate. Such signed notes are often referred to as "short snorters." This one is unique in that it belonged to an American pilot who flew for TWA. During the war, the transcontinental aircraft of TWA and Pan American Airways were "commandeered" by the USAAF and became part of the Air Transport Command. The civilian pilots and crew were retained. The aircraft were used principally to transport government officials, senior military officers, USO entertainers, and critical military supplies.

This note is dated April 11, 1945, and notes the flight from Prestwick Airfield in Scotland to Meeks Airfield in Iceland. On this particular flight were five senior German generals being delivered to authorities in the United States. The generals are Dietrich von Choltitz, Hermann-Bernard Ramcke, Anton Dunckern, Knut Eberding, and Wilhelm Ullersperger and they were ultimately sent to the POW camp at Clinton, Mississippi. This link http://home.arcor.de/kriegsgefangene/memoirs/ramcke/page_5.html is to a translated copy of Ramcke's memoirs which discusses the flight to the US.

On the front of the note are the signatures of Eberding and Ullersperger...

On the back of the note are the signatures of von Choltitz, Ramcke, and Dunckern...For those curious, the signature between von Choltitz and Ramcke is that of actor Adolphe Menjou.

The primary reason for posting it to get identification of what looks to be another general's signature below that of Anton Dunckern. Unfortunately, until I get a chance to make a better scan of the note, this is the best image I have. Ramcke does not mention a fifth general accompanying him. I also know from extensive research on Camp Clinton, these five generals were the last delivered to the camp. It is possible this "odd" general was instead sent to one of the interrogation centers in the US.

It looks like there is a rank or title following the signature. I think I see the letter "P" denoting panzertruppe. Unfortunately, I have had no success in finding the names of the German generals held in the US who were at locations other than Camp Clinton. I suspect the list would be very short. Any guesses as to who the German general is?

Any input is appreciated.