News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1943-44 Czechoslovakia Commemorative Medal - London made

Greetings All.

I just purchased what I was informed is a Czechoslovakia medal from WW2 In Exile forces for 1943-44, made in London.

Can you please take a look at the photo and tell me if this is correct? Also, any information about the medal and/or the issuers would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, but I only have this one photo, which was on the auction site.

Thank you. Linas

• 2 months later...

hi,

the medal was constituted by the exiled Czech Govt. in London, 1943, however, only paperslips were issued (first issue early March 1944). In early 1945 CIABG photos, ribbons can be spotted on BD blouses. Majority of the commemorative medals was struck in Prague (3 issues), while one series is believed to have been made by Spinks in early 45. These can be easily identified, sadly, the site mentioned above does not include the 'london' issue. See the pic attached. The main difference is the loophole for the suspension ring, which actually forms the sword's pommel, unlike the Prague issued medals. (several other subtle differences (metal colour, font used on the reverse, ribbon colour) can be found, but the loophole is a sufficient and definite give-away).

4 clasps were issued to be worn on the ribbon, 'Velka Britanie', 'Francie', 'Stredni Vychod' and 'SSSR' (UK, Fra, Middle East and USSR).

The abbrev. clasps depicted should be worn on a small ribbon sewn on a uniform, not the medal.

005.jpg

003.jpg