News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1806 Light Cavalry Officer Sabre, Peninsular War

Greetings to all;

"The Peninsular War was a military conflict between France and the allied powers of Spain, the United Kingdom, and Portugal for control of the Iberian Peninsula during the Napoleonic Wars. The war began when French and Spanish armies crossed Spain and invaded Portugal in 1807. Then, in 1808, France turned on its ally, Spain. The war lasted until the Sixth Coalition defeated Napoleon in 1814." To us, the Portuguese, the war is called “Invasões Francesas”, “The French Invasions”.

In 1806 the Portuguese army was reorganized, forestalling a French invasion, caused by the Anglo-Portuguese alliance that long last from the XIV Century.

With this Royal Decree sign by the Prince Regent, future D. João VI “John the VI”, logistics, structure but manly Uniforms and Weapons suffered a huge modernization.

This saber from my collection, and described in Nobre book “As Armas e os Barões” 2004, is a Portuguese 1806 pattern, similar to an 1796 British Light Cavalry, but much more light to the brass guard-hilt and scabbard, but yet, equally strong due to the ancient Portuguese expertise in brass, iron and steel smiting.

This Sabre is a Young Cavalry Officer, from the Royal Volunteers Guard, and fought in the Portuguese Battles against Junot, Sult and Massena, possibly doing has well the Spanish and French campaign until the French capitulation in 1914.

The Scabbard has to iron rings, and as well the Guard is in Gilded Brass. Unfortunately today most of the Gilding has vanish. The blade in excellent steel has no engravings or etching.

The style of this Sabre and the well battle damaged scabbard indicates that that young officer, probably a Lieutenant, served has a scout currier (secret mailing and delivery of battle orders and mail) for the Portuguese General Staff in Battle.

Many thanks for this Portuguese insight into the Peninsular War. We read a lot from the British side, but seldom from the Portuguese.

Bemvindo ao GMIC.

Hugh

"This Sabre is a Young Cavalry Officer, from the Royal Volunteers Guard, and fought in the Portuguese Battles against Junot, Sult and Massena, possibly doing has well the Spanish and French campaign until the French capitulation in 1914."

I should have written: This sabre came from a Young Cavalry Officer, enlisted in the Royal Volunteers Guard, that fought in the Portuguese campaign against Junot, Sult and Massena, possibly doing has well the Spanish and French campaign until the French capitulation in 1814.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hugh

Posted Today, 15:36

Many thanks for this Portuguese insight into the Peninsular War. We read a lot from the British side, but seldom from the Portuguese.

Bemvindo ao GMIC.

Hugh
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hugh;

Thank you for your welcome and gentle words. Although my favorite hobby is the study and collect of Portuguese military medals and orders, particularly the Portuguese War Cross, the Portuguese Napoleonic campaigns are very catching of my interest as well.

my blog in Portuguese dedicated to te Portuguese War Cross:

http://cruzdeguerra.blogspot.pt/

An 1807 pattern, Portuguese Royal Navy sabre, identical to the 1806 pattern for the non-General Officers of the General Staff, other High Ranking officers from the continental army and from the overseas army. Also identical to mine Royal Volunteers sabre.

The main difference between my sabre and this original image from the Royal Decree, it’s the presence of the “trigger” , very useful to cavalry charges or better handling the sabre.
    In Portuguese, this type of sword is called “Sabre de Gatilho”, and are quite rare.

Through the Peninsular War period the Portuguese Army made use of different types of Swords and Sabres. The 1796 Heavy and Light Cavalry swords, the 1806 Portuguese Pattern, and the prior patters that equipped the Portuguese Army until the French Invasions.

So, we cannot confound the 1806 pattern to the sabre that usually equipped the regular Portuguese cavalry during that period.

The images shows a Portuguese Cavalry Sabre with Belt and Sabretache, and The Portuguese 4th Cavalry Regiment Charge at Fuentes del Maestro, command by the Portuguese Captain Maia e Vasconcellos, 3-01-1812. Oil on canvas by Mestre Carlos Alberto Santos.