News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Found a picture of this bar whilst surfing the internet today and to the best of my knowledge it is not for sale. It is quite interesting, the LD1 and MVK3X combo being as far as I know impossible, yet all other aspects look legit. Perhaps a replaced MVO4X? The other interesting thing is obviously at the end!

Regards,

Matthew

PS: I know the pictures aren't the best, but I could only find those. :)

8er_v_1095108179.jpg

8er_h_1095108120.jpg

That makes my head hurt. I would say that there is a decent chance that #3 is a replaced Red Eagle. The last 2 are intriguing. I suppose it's not an impossibility since both combat and non-combat service was not uncommon.

Strange. Extremely strange. Combination as is is impossible, I'd say, but the hardware looks good, so I think there are chances some awards were missing and wrongly refilled at some point.

That would be something to examine in hand... the EM/NCO awards might match, when the LD1 doesn't match the bar... or the LD1 belongs there, then I have problems with AEZ and BMV5cX...

Oldenburg double is more than strange, and hardly possible. Imagine someone wearing two WW1 2nd class Iron Crosses.... we'd scream!

Hmmm.... forgot about the AEZ. Although if one looks closely more of the ribbon rings of the BMVK3mX and the AEZ show than the others, suggesting they were replaced, and not the LD1. Can our resident Godet expert tell us if it looks good as per construction? :)

• 3 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

Not before the wild and wooly "anything went" Weimar Republic, when there was no one to enforce the rules. I agree that the bar itself looks good, but little monkey fingers have screwed around so with the "metal" portions of the awards that it would be hard to guess what it once was. Sigh!

In transcribing other rolls (Meiningen for instance) noncombatant ribboned awards were often replaced later by combatant-ribbon types. When the actual award didn't have to be RETURNED, as with the OK2, that left somebody with the opportunity to do something non-regulation like this. In fairness to the rules-breaker, he DID do... something TWICE and not once!

Edited by Rick Research

Cases like this are probably even rarer because probably when a recipient received both ribbons, he just wore the combatant one in order to show he had actually fought. Even the guy above, although wearing both also has the Vor dem Feinde bar to make sure no one questions how close to the front line he was!