News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Army of Sutlej' medal

Morning all, I have joined the site in the hope that there will be some of you who would be able to assist in some info on a few medals that have been passed down. Attached is a photo of a 'Army of Sutlej' medal. All the info I have gathered so far points to a silver medal with little info on gold. Anyone?

Is the medal inscribed at all on the rim? gold specimens are known, these were presentation pieces to senior figures and there was a group of gold specimen medalssold by Morton and Eden in October 2003

A Magnificent Presentation Set of Four Specimens of India Medals struck in Gold, without suspension, each medal with frosted finish and set in a gold-rimmed glazed case, comprising: (a) Kelat-i-Ghilzie 1842; (b) Candahar, Ghuznee, Cabul 1842; © Jellalabad 1842, second issue, with flying Victory on reverse; and (d) Meanee-Hyderabad 1843, minor marks on the frame of the last, otherwise all mint state, housed in original fitted display case of issue allowing display of either side of the medals, believed to be unique (4) £10,000-15,000

Provenance:

Presented to Field Marshal His Grace the Duke of Wellington, K.G., G.C.B., G.C.H., Commander-in-Chief, 1842-52, and formerly in the Apsley House Collection

While they are extremely rare or possibly even unique they do not command the same interest as a normal medal named to a senior figure in the campaign. The set sold for £7,500

Hope this helps,

Paul

The 'Army of Sutlej' does not have anything inscribed on the side and has not been encased like the others. The 'Peninsular War' medal has been encased in glass but with engraving on the gold band: Leut Col : Geo J Bruere Tucker, D. Adj Gen.

The naming on the Small Army Gold Medal is confusing. A small gold for Roleia and Vimiera was awarded to John Goulston Price Tucker. He is the only Tucker to have received tan Army Gold. If it is him then he is quite a distinguished fugure having been wounded at the assault on Montevideo 1807. He served in South Africa prior to then and was briefly Commandant of Simonstown. If this checks out then this is a very desireable medal worth in excess of £10,000.

Hope this is of help.

Paul

George James Bruere Tucker was the brother of John Goulston Price Tucker. Poses an interesting question as to why his name appears on the medal. We're trying to piece items together as we speak.

Many thanks for your input. I will fill you in as we go along. Luckily Trevor has quite a bit of the family history with him as well as the family tree so we will 'soldier' on!

Many thanks,

Kerry

Morning,

Firstly, thank you Mervyn for the welcome. A large thank you has to go to Paul for his info. I started this yesterday and my knowledge of these subjects are really close to zero so all help is massive.

Info gathered so far:

G.J.B. Tucker was clearly involved in the Peninsular War. He drowned aboard the HMS Primrose in 1809 along with his brother, Nathaniel Butterfield. There are various mentions of the reports on the '3 Tucker brothers' in war reports. 2 things that are elusive is the medal award to G.J.B. as there is no mention of him receiving anything. The letter that I've attached clearly addresses him by the rank that is on the medal. The typescript is made put together by a Mrs Wessels who donated documents, diaries etc of various members of the Tucker family to the British Museum a few years ago. Information was obviously drawn from those documents. She has made a typo error on the doc - 1899 should be 1809. The letter has a hallmark which I'm really keen to have someone look at to authenticate. I have also attached a family tree made up by Trevors Grandmother starting with all the brothers. You'll see it starts with Henry St. George who had quite a career including being appointed as chairman of the East India Co.

Trevor is currently sifting through all family correspondence to try find more info, Will update as I go along.

Please excuse my ignorance as a researcher as this is most definitely not my line. It is interesting though.

Cheers,

Kerry

For your interest, Kerry and others, I have attached pages 306-307 of volume 3, part 2 of the Edinburgh Annual Register of 1810 (actually published in 1812), which is available from

http://archive.org/stream/edinburghannpt2v03scotuoft#page/306/mode/2up

It lists the senior officers who are to receive (some posthumously) the medal for Roleia and Vimiera. I have underlined George James Bruere Tucker's name.

Edited to add: Although I haven't looked, I presume this would have been announced in the London Gazette, as well.

Edited by Trooper_D

Much appreciated sir. I am looking at the whole situation and wondering whether or not the medal was presented to his father, Henry St. George Tucker (East India Co), along with the set of 4 as all of them are finished in the same manner (encased in glass). I have a feeling the same story applies to the Sutlej medal as he was a director of the company at the time. It all fits but I need to sift through the paperwork. I have also just learnt that all the original portraits of all the above mentioned characters are available as well. I am also finding many letters from the Duke of Wellington addressed to GJB Tucker which I am pouring through - seems from the outside they were friends.

Thank you to all who have had input and special thanks to Paul

Most interesting I notice in the Military Calender there is no mention of GJB receiving a gold medal, it could be that there is a mistake in the records and GJB has been put in in error for GJB

Not the first itme something like that has happened and certainly not the last.

Paul

I am looking at the whole situation and wondering whether or not the medal was presented to his father, Henry St. George Tucker (East India Co)

That would certainly be in accordance with the bit which says,

His Majesty has also been pleased to command, that the medals which would have been conferred upon the officers which have fallen or died since the above-named actions, shall, as a token of respect

for their memories, be deposited with their respective families. [my emphasis]

Good luck with your continued search. Please let us know what you find.