News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Companion of The Order of Bath

I have found this medal and from what I have uncovered this is the medal that was presented to one Admiral Thomas Tudor Tucker (1775-1852). We were a bit concerned that it might be a replica but the company who produced them, R & S Garrard & Co, printed their details on the inside with their Panton Street address. They moved in the early 1900's once they registered as a company and were the gaurdians of the Crown Jewels till 2007. That said, it could still be a replica. How does one authenticate the validity of a medal and box?

Garrards were at Panton Street from 1818-1911 when they moved to Albermale Street. However this cannot be Admiral Thomas Tudor Tucker's piece as it is a CB Civil which was not founded until 1847, Thomas became a CB after 1840 and certainly no later than 1846 when he is listed as a CB. On the reverse of the badge there should be a hallmark (not always very clear on the early Garrard CB Civils)which will date it (I am assuming that the piece is gold when it will date it between 1847 and 1887). Certainly it is a genuine CB however I suggest it may have been awarded to another member of the family. There is another Thomas Tudor Tucker who served with the Bengal Cavalry around the Mutiny and I believe went into businesss on retirement, perhaps it could be him.

Hope this helps,

Paul

THE EDINBURGH GAZETTE, MAY 22, 1860.

To be Ordinary Members of the Civil Division

of the Third Class, or Companions, of the said

Most Honourable Order (BATH); viz. Henry Carre Tucker, Esq. Bengal Civil Service,

Commissioner of Benares.

The Tuckers seem to have quite a history in India all the way down their line. Today I received a briefcase full of letters, private and official, which I will go through in the next few weeks. Whatever looks interesting pertaining the medals will be posted alongside the topic.

Have a great weekend.