News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Everyone,

Some time ago I purchased a Defence medal, Police LSGC pair, the Police LSGC is named to "CH. INSPR. EDWARD F. DOWSON'. The box for his LSGC medal came with the purchase and it is named "St. Helens". Any information about Chief Inspector Dowson or the St Helens Police would be much appreciated.

Regards,

David

Log on to the Liverpool City Police web site, there is a little information on the Force. You could also contact the webmaster and a request for information on your man will be circulated to members. You could also contact the St Helens Branch of the National Association of Retired Police Officers, which is made up of mainly Retired St Helens Borough officers, I think they have a web site too. Good Luck and Regards Peter

David

St Helen's Police was formed 1 July 1887 (previously part of Lancashire force)

It was abolished 1 April 1969 when it became part of the Lancashire force

I have looked in the Police Almanacs for 1951 and 1957 and can find no trace of him in the 1951 edition (which suggests he may have been serving in another force or was possibly below the rank of Inspector which is the lowest shown for that force

He does appear in the 1957 edition as a Ch Insp - he was their senior detective.

See attached for the complete entry for St Helen's (1957 edition)

Edited by Odin Mk 3

I believe he was born in Chester, Cheshire c1910 and died at Prescott 1961 aged 50/51 possibly whilst still serving. The St Helens Borough Police area was brought into the Merseyside Police upon its creation in 1974.

Thank you Peter and Odin Mk 3. I really appreciate the help I get on this site. The research resources that so many people have never ceases to amaze me.

Regards,

David