News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

General Valerie Andre, parachutist, surgeon and helicopter pilot and

Bernhard H.Holst

Hello readers:

While on my first deployment with the French Foreign Legion in the North of Vietnam from 1951 to 1953 fascinating information came to us about a female helicopter pilot flying single handed medical evacuation missions. On duty with an amphibious unit which was exceptionally well equipped to care for our wounded and to evacuate any of them if necessary, we never had occasion to call on her so did not see her. But her reputation was apparent.

I have had occasion to look into this exceptional woman's career and can give here a brief description as follows:

- The general Valerie Andre was born on the 21 of April 1922 in Strasbourg, Alsace and pursued medical training. She volunteered for military service after WW II during the Vietnam conflict and qualified as a surgeon, pilot and parachutist. Then holding the rank of captain she received training as a helicopter pilot. The helicopter then somewhat in its operational infancy for military purposes was a Hiller 360 , single pilot and capable of transporting two stretcher cases , one on each side of the craft on a sort of attached stretcher.

In Vietnam Captain Andre flew 129 medical evacuation missions , transporting 165 severely wounded to rear facilities. She also made two parachute jumps to provide medical assistance. She continued flying copters in Algeria and added more than 300 missions logging thousands of hours flying time. Promotions followed and she reached the equivalent rank of general in the French Medical Service ( equal to Major General in the US Service) occupying positions of considerable importance.

Her decorations include the distinction of Grand Cross of the Legion of Honor as well as the one of the Legion of National Merit. Several citations earning her the Croix de Guerre and the Croix de Valeur Militaire. Also decorations in the medical field among other distinctions. Not to forget the U.S. Legion of Merit.

I read that she absolved a simulator program quite recently for a helicopter!

I felt a need to bring this extraordinary person to the attention of readers who may never have heard of her.

Bernhard H. Holst

Very cool mini bio :D I feel the need to do more research sounds fascinating, thank you so much for sharing with us :D:)

Hello:

There is a wealth of information to be found in the internet concerning this remarkable woman who served her country more than well and was ahead of her times in many respects.

Bernhard H. Holst