News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

thx very much for this great offer. I would like to add these "two".

When i bought them i thought they belonged to two different persons.

Later the miniature chain was found and now i think it might be that the wearer just split it up in one for his war duties and the other one.

However is there an identification possible with these awards.

Best regards

Detlev

Guest Rick Research

OK, so they do indeed match. I've never seen such 'short 2-rows" but apparently this guy didn't want a Frackspange and a normal wear group duplicating each other. Hmmm.

Guest Rick Research

:jumping: K.W. Stabsarzt der Landwehr II (25.02.07 M) Dr.med. Hermann ETTER. He was Ortsarmenarzt für Schwenningen, God bless him. He originally received a Württemberg Friedrich Orden-Ritter 1X (WF3aX) 25.02.15 but with Württemberg's CRAZY awards practices in the war, that was returned and replaced by the Württemberg Militär-Verdienst Orden-Ritter (WM3) on 3 May 1917.

No other WM3 holder had a WLD1 and WKOM1. His Weimar-era awards are new to us.

Guest Rick Research

Oops! Forgot to type in that both Etter's WF3aX and the WM3 were earned in K.W. Landwehr Infanterie Regiment 119. Apparently the Württemberg Staatsarchiv does not have his military file, for some reason.

Hi Rick,

thank you so much. I thought there was no hope for this one, only small chance with the Wkom1.

Now i like the group even more? And try to find a pucture of him.

Best regards.

Detlev

Guest Rick Research

Documentation:

His entry from the Württemberg Hof- und Staats Handbuch 1914:

He was in the same job since at least 1903, when his Reichs-Medicinal-Kalendar entry showed him practicing medicine since 1895

Here is his entry from the 1914 Prussia/Württemberg Army Rank List:

The commission date for him as listed in my first post is from the 1914 K.W. Militär Handbuch, a completely different "Rank List" with far more detail--but paper so brittle I can not ever scan it.

Guest Rick Research

CRAZY Württemberg! Here is his entry for the WF3aX in the K.W. Militär-Verordnungsblatt:

Here is what his full entry for the WM3 looked like, also from the PVB:

Guest Rick Research

Last but not least, he FINALLY got a promotion, to Oberstabsarzt dL II on 7 September 1918.

Above is his entry from the MVB of 21 September 1918.

Dr. Etter recieved his Karl-Olga Medal between the Rank Lists of 1909 and 1910. He received the WLD1 between the Rank Lists of 1911 and 1912 without ever having had a WLD2. That meant--like many reserve doctors--that he received regular promotions while not even performing minimal called-up duty. LD2s were granted for actual time while called up for summer etc exercises, but an LD1 was for purely calendar years time. So he was probably a One Year Volunteer 1890-91, born about 1870/71.

None of this "easy answer" stuff would have been possible if we had not ALREADY computer transcribed the WM3 recipients roll, adding as much data as we could find. (Sorry, no birth or death dates for Etter). The Rank Lists, Hof- und Staats Handbücher, and Militär Verordnungsblätter all had to be found and scanned. All of that had already been done so you get the lucky "Quick ID!" We Research Gnomes know sometimes people think such results are "magic" or "easy"... but check out some of the OTHER medal bars and you will see. Hard, tedious--and often unsuccessful work is often the result, no matter how much effort goes into trying.

Edited by Rick Research