News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Italian Artillery World War I

I've been posting a lot of WWI Imperial German artillery uniforms and guns; so, I thought I'd change it up a bit today and cover some other WWI combatant artillery I have in my collection.

This one just arrived today; I believe a tenente (lieutenant) of the 36° Reggimento Artiglieria (see the hat on the stand at bottom left). I'm guessing his ribbon is for the "GUERRA ITALO-TURCA 1911-12" medal. I've seen another post card for sale commemorating the regiments part in that conflict; so, I'm thinking it's a good guess.

The flames on his hat are horizontal indicating field artillery or "campagna artiglieria " in Italian. (Heavy artillery flames are vertical.)

Anyone with more information on this regiment or Italian artillery uniforms...greatly appreciated.

Well, now I can post some infos.
    The 36th rgt artiglieria di campagna was created in 1912 and fought in the war against Turkey.
    At the time of WW1 it was composed of 3 groups (13°, 14°, 20°) plus another one which at the beginning had the number 11 and later 51, as all the "someggiati" groups (=with guns trained by mules), which added 40 to their initial number.
    The regiment was under the 2nd army, XII army corp, 24th division.
    In 1920 its number was changed, becoming the 24° rgt.
    The picture shows a soldier (not an officer) with the Italy-Turkey ribbon. The neck pipes were the same as for all artillery regiments: black with yellow border and the star in the middle. You can see them here:
    mostrine.jpg
    Pls note that the color was yellow at the time of the war. The change to orange is due to the time.
    The sword is not appropriate, since the artillery soldier had the model 1888. Anyway picture like this one were made usually in photo studios were details like this were not relevant.
    The picture can be dated between 1912 and early 1916, because the ribbon for ww1 was created on 21th may 1916 and we don't see it.
    Here is a card of the 36th rgt, made after the end of the Turkey campaign, when the regiment was in Sicily.
    536742097_o.jpg

I wish to thanks the MILES forum (http://miles.forumcommunity.net) and specially "furiere maggiore"