News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Stove enamelled iron crosses

Biro

Would anyone sure of the subject be kind enough to post a good close picture of an iron cross core they consider to be 'stove enamelled' and not painted, blued etc...

many thanks!

Marshall

I have just a core that I will take pictures of tonight, don't have access to it at the moment.

Thanks very much Coastie...

The glare from the artificial light makes it a little difficult to know exactly what I'm looking at here - if you get the chance at some point, perhaps a super close-up across the face of just one arm from a more horizontal angle (rather than straight on) would be great.

Don't ask for much, do I... :D

Anyone else have an opinion on whether Coasties piece does in fact appear to be 'stove' or 'oven' enamelled?

Marshall

Would anyone sure of the subject be kind enough to post a good close picture of an iron cross core they consider to be 'stove enamelled' and not painted, blued etc...

many thanks!

Marshall

Are you sure we are talking of a different processes here ? Stove enamelling and painting can be the same thing. Stove enamelling is often used to describe a painting process using "enamel" or high gloss finish paints which are oven cured and give a good quality hard wearing finish. (like the painted finish on a WW2 German dress bayonet scabbard) It is used today on things like bicycle frames, so its a painted finish, not true vitreous "glass" enamel.

Are you sure we are talking of a different processes here ? Stove enamelling and painting can be the same thing. Stove enamelling is often used to describe a painting process using "enamel" or high gloss finish paints which are oven cured and give a good quality hard wearing finish. (like the painted finish on a WW2 German dress bayonet scabbard) It is used today on things like bicycle frames, so its a painted finish, not true vitreous "glass" enamel.

On this side of the pond it's called a "baked enamel" finish. That's why I have chosen this core to show. It has a nice glossy luster of baked enamel. You will notice that there are some small chips in the enamel which is typical of a hard enamel.

On this side of the pond it's called a "baked enamel" finish. That's why I have chosen this core to show. It has a nice glossy luster of baked enamel. You will notice that there are some small chips in the enamel which is typical of a hard enamel.

Gordon raises an important observation: there is a big difference between enamelling and painting.

There are at several processes that are sometimes called "enamelling".

True enamelling is the result of tiny glass beads (or powder) being melted onto a surface. Cloisonnee resembles enamelling, but is applied as a clay-like paste and then baked onto the applied surface.

Enamel -paint- is a very different process, and the surface may be baked on, but it is -not- real enamelling despite the use of the term "enamel paint" by manufacturers, marketers, and people buying a paint they think is "enamel". A related method of painting is "japaning" or "japan black" which is usually the mixing of asphalt with thinners such as lacquer, oils, sometimes acetone, and similar compounds which are applied to a surface (usually iron or steel) and then baked to speed up the drying process and form a hardened surface.

Some pre-1914 Iron Crosses are sometimes referred to as having a lacquered type finish. The surface is not painted, but appears to be "japaned".

"Japaning" was a popular form of applying a hardened rust preventative surface on iron and steel up until shortly after WWI. With the mass production of automobiles, "japaning" was first used until production requirements lead to the development of newer faster drying paints and japaning was on it's way to becoming a thing of the past.

Les