News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Post-War I Czech?

A photo from the early twenties: 23d Infantry Regiment

"Happy Hungarian guys 1928" - Unknown cavalry unit, note the equipment in the background

Infantryman 1924

Trooper Kabók Ferenc 8th Cavalry Regiment

A fine color(ized) portrait: desátník (corporal). The IP means Instrukční Prapor (Training Battalion)

Edited by Markgraf

..from the photo is clear, that 1.Lt Bartoš served 4 years in Czechoslovak legions (four strips on his right arm)... And here some informations about him:

Bartoš Ferdinand, born 26.6.1884 Albrechtice, district Týn nad Vltavou (Czech Republic), last rank in AUstro-Hungarian army was Feldwebel in IR46, captured 6.11.1914 in Hubice/Dobromil, registrated for legions in Jelec (Orlova gubernia), entered legions on 14.7.1916 as a private in 1. rifle regiment of Czechoslovak legions in Russia, ended in legions 11.5.1920 as second lieutenant of regimental music in 1. rifle regiment and served in Czechoslovak army (at the time the picture was taken he already served in Czechoslovak Army)...

Here are many of photos of Czechoslovak army soldiers:

http://www.nezradime.cz/www/index.php?page=uvod

Edited by Iver

..from the photo is clear, that 1.Lt Bartoš served 4 years in Czechoslovak legions (four strips on his right arm)... And here some informations about him:

Bartoš Ferdinand, born 26.6.1884 Albrechtice, district Týn nad Vltavou (Czech Republic), last rank in AUstro-Hungarian army was Feldwebel in IR46, captured 6.11.1914 in Hubice/Dobromil, registrated for legions in Jelec (Orlova gubernia), entered legions on 14.7.1916 as a private in 1. rifle regiment of Czechoslovak legions in Russia, ended in legions 11.5.1920 as second lieutenant of regimental music in 1. rifle regiment and served in Czechoslovak army (at the time the picture was taken he already served in Czechoslovak Army)...

Here are many of photos of Czechoslovak army soldiers:

http://www.nezradime.cz/www/index.php?page=uvod

Iver: Great infos thank You! Whether how long he served in the CS army? It seems he was career NCO before the WWI.

Otherwise the CS army recognized the AH army service years and ranks?

For more info about him is neccesary to write on military historic archive in Prag... I think they will have his service file... they only need name and date of birth... CS army.. it was little problematic, there was fight between legionares and "austrians" (officers and soldiers that served to the end in the KuK army)... of course it was a political fight :) and you can try to guess who won ;)

Edited by Iver

For more info about him is neccesary to write on military historic archive in Prag... I think they will have his service file... they only need name and date of birth... CS army.. it was little problematic, there was fight between legionares and "austrians" (officers and soldiers that served to the end in the KuK army)... of course it was a political fight :) and you can try to guess who won ;)

Thanks, maybe I try it - and his AH service records too - it would be a good story ;)

It is fairly interesting that he served the 46. IR - it was a Hungarian majority regiment (79%) from Szeged. Probably he was in administrative position - his hand-writing is very clean and accurate.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

I want to follow-up with some new scans of my photo in Post #2... These are at 1200dpi using a HP scanner (instead of my older Epson). They still aren't that clear, but maybe will be helpful somewhat.

First, the reverse has no writing - other than the printed info: "Foto VYVOZIL, Turo, Sv. Martin" Martin is in Slovakia, near the Fatra mountains; so, that might be the town of the studio that took the photo.

Using a magnifying glass, the collar badges look very similar to those associated with "mountain" units in the above posts.

Edited by IrishGunner