News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Post-War I Czech?

IrishGunner

The sign in the second photo says 'Happy Christmas 1925' in Czech, so the answer to the question posed in your thread title is, yes. I suspect you knew that already and are actually after a unit identification - which I can offer no help with - but I thought I would score the easy points before anyone else :)

Trooper, yea, I have a good idea they are both Czech. ;) But tossing it out there for the group to see if anyone has any confirmation or details. The guy in the portrait shot has a badge on his cap that looks very much like the Czech Lion cap badge of pre-WWII. Your button thread is further confirmation.

Only, his uniform lacks the collar badges seen on the soldiers in the group photo...

6836591_1_l.jpg

Motif continued after WWII with the communist state...

$%28KGrHqZ,%21l%21E3HniKtCuBOJEuugqWQ~~0

Edited by IrishGunner

I've won these recently in auction; so, when they get here, I'll be able to see if there is anything on the back.

Unfortunately, lost the bidding war on one that was clearly an artillery unit - because of the cannons in the group photo. :(

IrishGunner

I think the photo below (from http://www.indiannet.eu/home_resistance/gbpart4.html) confirms the attribution of your first photo. It is of a Czech artillery lieutenant called Rudolf Pernický and is dated to 1938. Although it is an officer's uniform, note the buttons with the crossed swords and the same shaped collar and collar tabs.

02.jpg

What I have discovered in all this is that images on the Internet of inter-war years Czech soldiers appear to be as rare as hens' teeth!

What I have discovered in all this is that images on the Internet of inter-war years Czech soldiers appear to be as rare as hens' teeth!

Agreed. I did a search as well and found very, very little. Which is why I went after these photos.

Trooper, yea, I have a good idea they are both Czech. ;) But tossing it out there for the group to see if anyone has any confirmation or details. The guy in the portrait shot has a badge on his cap that looks very much like the Czech Lion cap badge of pre-WWII. Your button thread is further confirmation.

Only, his uniform lacks the collar badges seen on the soldiers in the group photo...

6836591_1_l.jpg

Motif continued after WWII with the communist state...

$%28KGrHqZ,%21l%21E3HniKtCuBOJEuugqWQ~~0

..it is not so simple... the cap badge with lion was in CZECHOSLOVAKIA used for a very long period... on the photo with 3 badges are not only pre WWII badges but also badge used after WWII till 1960.. the only difference is in the tails of lion... on preWWII badges the tails go up, after the war on side (to lion).. after 1960 was another type of shield used and also there is no slovak coat of arms on the chest of lion, but a mountain with a fire (as on the other photo... :) on the second photo of soldiers they have a collar badge wich can identify the brach of the unit.. some of those soldiers have on their breasts qualification badges :)

on the second photo of soldiers they have a collar badge wich can identify the brach of the unit.. some of those soldiers have on their breasts qualification badges

It's never simple is it? :P

Once the actual photos arrive, I can do my own scan and try to bring up the collars and qualification badges for further identification. Iver, do you have a guess now as to branch of the group photo?

...on the group photo? I would say a mountain unit, here the collar badge of mountain troops... on the photo (under nr.5) my greatgrand father (WWI veteran) as a corporal of mountain artillery regiment in 1921 (wearing an older version of uniform)...

Trooper D: As You Wish

1st Lt. Bartoš (Nadporučík) the band leader of the 1st Rifle Regiment "Jan Hus" 1921 II. 1., České Budějovice

Trooper of the 9th Cavalry Regiment (Vysoké Mýto) between 1920 and 1930

Others coming soon tomorrow

Trooper D: As You Wish

Very interesting, thank you. I look forward the the rest of your photos. Can you explain me the significance of the chevrons on the arm of Lt Bartos' tunic, please? Edited by Trooper_D

Very interesting, thank you. I look forward the the rest of your photos. Can you explain me the significance of the chevrons on the arm of Lt Bartos' tunic, please?

Not at all! As far as I know they are service ribbons - according these the guy served in the Legion and/or the AH Army

His medals:

Czechoslovak War Cross 1914-1918

Czechoslovak_War_Cross_1914-1918.PNG

The Revolution Cross

o_czechoslovakia-ww1-medal-cross-of-revo

And at the end probably the ribbon of the Victory Medal

Edited by Markgraf

Legionaries:

desiatnik ašpirant (officer candidate? corporal) of the 10th Rifle Regiment "Jana Sladkého Koziny", Brno, with I. class rifle badge

vojnik (private) of the 101th Artillery Regiment, Praha

Soldiers of the above regiment

Unknown infantry unit

The buttons: the CS of twenenties, the crossed swords introduced around 1930