News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help, please with Sword blade inscription

This is a Lion-head Dragoon sword, inscribed to a member of No. 5 Eskadron the Baden Dragoon Rgt. Prinz Karl no. 22. His name is Sergeant Peter and the sword is presented to him as 'Besten Berritfuhrer...im Jahre 1899 (:Kaiser Manoever:).

I understand Berritfuhrer refers to the training of Cavalry horses.

I can find reference to Eskadrons 1-4 as being part of the 111th Infantry division in 1915, but no No.5.

Can anyone shed any light on this particular formation and the named individual?

Many thanks.

Without detailed knowledge, it seems like the No. 5 Eskadron were the depot squadron of the regiment, and would thus contain a detachment for training of the horses (and other detachments for recruit training etc). Thus 5.Sqn is a "peace-time" organisation while the regimental war organisation consists of 1.-4.Sqn. There's of course also the possibility that there was a reorganisation of the regiment's war organisation in the early 20th Century, but four sabre squadrons and a depot squadron seems likely.

/Jonas

I agree with Jonas, that being the 5th squadron being a support squadron for the regt, sorta like Headquarters Company being the support for an Inf Regt/Bn or Headquarters Battery for artillery.

The entire Regt was assigned to the 29th Div at the outbreak, 1914 and 1915. Sometime in 1915 the Regt was broken up and 3rd and 4th Squadrons were assigned to the 111th Inf Div. At that time the 5th Sqd was probably disbanded or was back in Mulhausen, there home base.

If I come across anything else, I posted it.

Ed

Edited by E Williams

The peacetime establishment of a cavalry regiment was five squadrons consisting of four troops (Züge). On mobilisation one squadron remained behind as the Ersatz-Eskadron although not necessarily the 5. Eskadron. For example, the Ersatz-Eskadron of Husaren-Regiment Nr. 11 was the 2. Eskadron. There was no such thing as an HQ squadron.

A Beritt has nothing to do with the training of horses; it is an in-barracks grouping equating to a Korporalschaft in the infantry. A Berittführer was the cavalry equivalent of a section commander/squad leader.

Glenn

The peacetime establishment of a cavalry regiment was five squadrons consisting of four troops (Züge). On mobilisation one squadron remained behind as the Ersatz-Eskadron although not necessarily the 5. Eskadron. For example, the Ersatz-Eskadron of Husaren-Regiment Nr. 11 was the 2. Eskadron. There was no such thing as an HQ squadron.

A Beritt has nothing to do with the training of horses; it is an in-barracks grouping equating to a Korporalschaft in the infantry. A Berittführer was the cavalry equivalent of a section commander/squad leader.

Glenn

Were there any pattern regarding as to which squadron being designated the Ersatz-Eskadron, or was it just the least experienced squadron or the squadron with the most suitably qualified NCOs? Or was it down to the old British system of "senior/junior squadron"?

/Jonas