News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello gentlemen!

Does someone have informations about the battles and assignments to higher commands of the bavarian 5th foot-artillery-bataillon from its set-up in march 1916 until may 1918 (then it became I.Btl./bav.5th foot-artillery-regiment)?

I try to find out, where this man was, and in which units he did recieve the badges of the Alpine-corps and the bav.8th Res.Div.

The reverse is unwritten, but "Alois Walter" (I´m not sure, if that is the name of that man)

To his uniform:

Brandenbug cuffs + Shoulder stripe "5" with white pipings + Bavarian collar galloon = bavarian 5th foot-artillery (bataillon OR regiment)

Since 1916 the foot-artillery bataillons had their own shoulder strap-number and not any-more the number of the upsetting regiment.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Edited by The Prussian

Hello!

No, you are wrong. FA means Field-artillery.

The 5th foot-artillery regiment was set up in may 1918

From my books, the Bay.Fd.A.R.5.3.Bay.Div was in existence at call up from 1914-1916. The next mention of that unit was in 1916 as part of the Bay.Fs.A.R.5.B.1 was part of the 12th Res Div. No other batteries after 1916 is noted in that unit, although, there were other Fs.A.R.5. also but not Bavarian.

Yes, the short history was:

b.5th Foot-artillery-bataillon set up march 1916

This bataillon became I.Btl. of the new set-up b.5th.Foot-artilleriy regiment.

You wrote about the 5th field-artillery regiment, that belonged to the 3rd Bav.Div., that´ s right.#

I need infos about the 5th bataillon from 1916-1918 (before it became part of the 5th regiment

Andy, as you are no doubt well aware, researching Fuss-Artillerie is extremely difficult, especially the numbered battalions. Add the fact that you are looking for a Bavarian battalion just adds to the fun. I'm probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but most Fuss-Artillerie was assigned to the AK level sectors and didn't necessarily move all that much. Attachments and detachments were frequent as different divisions moved through the sector. So, you almost need a history of that specific battalion to get any level of detail for the battalion's activities in the time period you seek. The Bayer. Fußartillerie-Bataillon Nr. 5 could have been part of any number of higher headquarters from 1916-1918.

For what it's worth, I have the same info you have regarding its formation dates; this comes from Hermann Cron's book, "Imperial German Army 1914-18"

I have a long - but very incomplete - list of German artillery units with many higher headquarters. As I said, very incomplete, because it doesn't include either the Bayer. Fußartillerie-Bataillon Nr. 5 or the Bayer. Fußartillerie Regiment Nr. 5

An internet source that was very good for this type of search was www.1914-18.info or Chronik, but it's long gone.

Edited to add: I just looked in my own collection of German artillery regiments - especially Bavarian sterbebilder; I have nothing at all to either the bFuAR.Btl 5 the bFuAR 5

Edited by IrishGunner

Hello IG!

Thank you very much for your help! I hope, I´ll get some infs of a book I ordered this morning. It´s called "Waffengedenkbuch der königlich bayerischen schweren Artillerie" It´s a more then 400 pages book with infors only about the bavarian heavy artillery history of formation! I didn´t know that book before!

But back to the photo. It´s possible, that this man is yet an infantrist. Maybe he wears the old tunic, but almost with the new shoulder straps with the white piping fort infantry. So we would have bav.5th IR, or Res.Rgt.

Anyway, I couldn´t find a missing link to the bav.8th RD or the Edelweiß, even he´d be an infantrist.

I hope the book will arrive very soon!

Hello IG!

Thank you very much for your help! I hope, I´ll get some infs of a book I ordered this morning. It´s called "Waffengedenkbuch der königlich bayerischen schweren Artillerie" It´s a more then 400 pages book with infors only about the bavarian heavy artillery history of formation! I didn´t know that book before!

But back to the photo. It´s possible, that this man is yet an infantrist. Maybe he wears the old tunic, but almost with the new shoulder straps with the white piping fort infantry. So we would have bav.5th IR, or Res.Rgt.

Anyway, I couldn´t find a missing link to the bav.8th RD or the Edelweiß, even he´d be an infantrist.

I hope the book will arrive very soon!

Actually, Andy, I was looking at the shoulder strap and I don't really see a "5". I'm not sure what I see; it is pretty difficult to tell. Maybe if Chip comes online he can tell us more about the shoulder strap.

I'm familiar with the "Waffengedenkbuch der königlich bayerischen schweren Artillerie", but it was always too expensive for my budget. :whistle: