News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The 1st and 3rd photo show a Naval Kadett, the middle a Naval Sub-Lieutenant of the Imperial Navy.

Makes sense, left to right 1911, 1914 & undated.

The jacket he wears inthe centre looks more like a clergical type thing or is this a normal lenght and cut for an overcoat/mantle?

Thanks for the steer.

Jock:)

Edited by Jock Auld

In the centre he wears a frock coat (Rock) with shoulder boards and on the sleeve braids for an Oberleutnant zur See. I would date all photos between about 1905 and 1918.

This significant style of carton (supporting the picture) is mainly typical for Germany and Russia between about 1905 and 1919 (depending on the fashionability of the photographer and the wishes of the orderer). Art deco infuenced commercial photo albums for this rather narrow type of photos, which was not popular in all "civilized" nations. It included a standarisation, and an interested public, this was about as balanced as modern choices for Apple or Micorsoft. Also the postcard size challenged the market, and that format won the race, as it was more popular, cheaper and with the introduction of the postcard, became a direct hit! This, however, killed the specific skills of the, so far and in many ways excellent, photographer, for every Tom, Dick and Harry set up stalls and competed for cheap and mobile photographs. To us, it may be interestin to know that about photography there is a lot to mention...

I love these longer types of the previous Carte Visite, because not all photographers had the equipment to work out an image in the best fashion. It also tells that the "sitter" had some cash, because a simple postcard size was easier and cheaper. All this in a time when photography was not as common as today.

Odulf,

That is something I never thought about as you see both sorts of picture around a lot, so he is an 'Apple' man (this may make you chuckle: http://www.epicrapbattlesofhistory.com/video/O80KPLVeUEoc/category/all/tag/all/section/most_viewed_episode/page/0).

It is the same guy, so safe to say 1911 +.

I have a few more bits from that group but it overlaps Weimar and KM, should I add them here as part of the story so to speak?

Jock:)

Edited by Jock Auld