News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

At one time, I thought Württemberg would be my collecting focus; I picked up these sterbebilder a few years ago.

This first one is quite curious. Serg. Josef Zehetmaier's card states he was awarded the EK2 and the Wuertt. Verdienst Ordern. But I though the Württemberg Verdienst Orden was for officers - with less than 4000 awarded in all grades. So, how did this sergeant get one? Perhaps the printer made a mistake; if we look at his ribbons in the photo, it looks more like a Bavarian Militär-Verdienstkreuz ribbon. The printer being confused since Zehetmaier was in the Württemberg Resv. Infantrie-Regiment Nr. 119.

What do you all think?

Unfortunately, Reservist Christian Eyrich of the Infanterie-Regiment König Wilhelm I (6. Württembergisches) Nr.124 was one of the first casualties of the war on 24 Aug 1914 and didn't have a chance to win any awards for Württemberg; KIA just north of Verdun.

I don't think that the printers made mistakes, because they received the full tekst and details from the descendants.

You must be a printer! :P Blaming the poor grieving family. I bet you didn't give a refund either. :mad:

Of course, you are correct; the mistake could have been the family's as well. Bottom-line, it had to be a mistake.

Printers did make spelling mistakes and in at least one case I know of, reprinted the card with the correct letter superimposed over the wrong one. Another thing I have noticed is that the death dates in the unit Ehrentafeln often do not match those on the Sterbebilder. In just one regiment alone, I have run into this situation about once in every ten cards. Usually, they are only a day apart, but it certainly makes you wonder who is getting the information wrong, the family or the unit.

Chip