News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Miniature of Field Marshall Ivan Paskevich

Ramblinfarms

I'm doing some horse-trading with Bob Stubben for this beautiful miniature he posted over on WAF. There is a thread in the WAF Imperial Section, too. He is tentatively Id'd as Field Marshall Ivan Paskevich.

Any comments or other thoughts on Id are appreciated, and I would love to know what Orders he is wearing.

Thanks.

Edited by Ramblinfarms

The lower star and that big white cross are the order of St. George 2nd class, and the upper star could be order of St. Alexander Nevsky. Other crosses are unfortunately too vaguely done for me to identify. The uppermost cross might be the Russian version of the order of Malta?

I'm not quite sure though, that this portrait is of FM Paskevich. By searching Ivan Paskevich or Иван Фёдорович Паскевич in google brings up many sites where pictures of him can be seen, and by comparing them to this one, I really don't see a match. But since he is a Russian Napoleonic (EK1) veteran with St. George 2, he should be identifiable.

Maybe others can tell you more.

Pete

-- edit: from http://george-orden.nm.ru/Mars/mars48.html you can find a good bio of Paskevich. It is in Russian, but at least babelfish worked fine for me.

Edited by Pete A

Thanks Pete. I appreciate your help. I tried Babelfish. It's pretty neat.

Is there anyone else who might have some info or comments to add?

Hallo, could the Black Cross outlined in the picture be the "KULM CROSS" ?

I will write what I know of this award here, its taken from THE IRON CROSS, A History 1813-1957 by Gordon Williamson" page20.

Instituted by F. W III on the 4th December 1813, the Kulm Cross was intended to honour the bravery of the Russian Guards units commanded by Count Ostermann-Tolstoy, against the French under General Vandamme, at Kulm.

The allied armies had been in retreat after after a disastrous defeat at Dresden in mid-August, and the gallantry of the Russian troops under Osterman-Tolstoy was instrumental in the defeat of the pursuing French at Kulm, holding the French at bay until Kleist arrived, at a great cost in casualties.

The King (F. W. III) decided to reward the bravery of the Russians by awardening them a special version of the IRON CROSS, although for some unknown reason, three years were to elapse before the official awardswere made.

The following extract was published in a Russian magazine in August 1816 ..." On the twenty-fourth day of this month, badges of the Iron Cross were received here. His Majesty the King of Prussia has royaly condescended to asignate these for award to members of the Guards units who, with exceptional courage fought at Kulm on the seventeeth day of August 1813."

The number of awards sent were 11,563 and the number was related to the number of troops who were involved in the battle. In fact, only 7,131 survived to take part in the presentation ceremony. Over 4,400 had died in battle or had subsequently perished as a result of their wounds.

In fact, on hearing of the awards, many Guardsmen had produced their own awards by attaching black leather crosses onto metal backing cut from belt buckles.

The awards officially presented were factory made in Prussia in lacquered silver for officers, and Iron for other ranks. Although factory made, they were inferior in quality to the Prussian Iron Crosses."

Kev.

There is good info in The Iron Cross Book by Privetera, also. This would make sense, because regardless of the actual ID of this Officer, I would certainly date the Miniature to the 1st quarter of the 19th century. I guess the only way to know for sure if this was an actual EK or a Kulm cross would be to positively identify this officer and find out what conflicts he was involved in, and which medals and orders he was actually awarded.

I'm doing some horse-trading with Bob Stubben for this beautiful miniature he posted over on WAF. There is a thread in the WAF Imperial Section, too. He is tentatively Id'd as Field Marshall Ivan Paskevich.

Any comments or other thoughts on Id are appreciated, and I would love to know what Orders he is wearing.

Thanks.

Hallo Ramblinfarms. :beer:

Do you think the gentleman in the picture attached could be an older version of the man your picture?

a, notice the shape of the mouth,

b, and the hair style might be a vain attempt to cover his receeding hair line?

c, also he sports two very similar Breast Stars and a black Cross on the left breast of the uniform and a large Cross.

His name is given as: General Golitzyn and the picture hangs or hung in the War Gallery of the Winter Palace in Russia, he is described as being with the Kulmer Officers Cross.

If you cant see the picture clearly enough please PM me your email address and I will send it as an attachment.

Kevin in Deva.