News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW2 USA Artillery

IrishGunner

Prior to WWI, the US Army lacked heavy artillery. In WWI, the AEF was equipped with British and French heavy artillery. After WWI, the US Army began working on a heavy artillery piece based upon the French Canon de 155 Grande Puissance Filloux (GPF) mle.1917. The US produced gun was named 155 mm Gun M1917 / M1918

In 1942, that piece was replaced by the 155mm Field Gun M1 - Long Tom. 49 battalions were fielded during WW2 with this gun.

Edited by IrishGunner

An 8" howitzer was also mounted on the M1/M2 carriage...differing only in the gun tube, sleigh, cradle, recoil and equilibrators, and weight due to the heavier barrel. The gun itself had origins with the British BL 8-inch howitzer Marks VI, VII and VIII of WWI.

In the 1950s, the gun was re-designated... M115 8 inch howitzer... This photo is from the 1950s.

Edited by IrishGunner

An icon to American artillerymen, far in the distance on the highest point is Block House, Signal Mountain. Originally, used as a signalling post and weather station from the 1870s, has been on Fort Sill's West Range since the 1940s. Any US artilleryman will know Block House, Signal Mountain as an aiming point for gunnery or observation exercises...

I can remember doing "graded shoots" as a forward observer in the artillery lieutenant basic course in 1982... Your gunnery instructor would call out, "To identify, three fingers left of Block House, Signal Mountain, and at a lesser range, your target..." I remember it like it was yesterday, the stop watch would click and you'd have seconds to identify, locate, and initiate the call for fire.

This photo is from sometime in the 40s/50s.

Prior to WWI, the US Army lacked heavy artillery. In WWI, the AEF was equipped with British and French heavy artillery. After WWI, the US Army began working on a heavy artillery piece based upon the French Canon de 155 Grande Puissance Filloux (GPF) mle.1917. The US produced gun was named 155 mm Gun M1917 / M1918

In 1942, that piece was replaced by the 155mm Field Gun M1 - Long Tom. 49 battalions were fielded during WW2 with this gun.

What was the calibre of the Long Tom?

Thanks,

Hugh

Sorry, I meant length of barrel. (How many calibres?)

H

Of course, you did... Actually, though, in artillery terms, caliber is the bore diameter. In naval guns, caliber is the length of the gun (which is why you see naval guns 5"/25 or 16"/L50). In artillery, we refer to length, well, simply as length of barrel. But to answer your question about the Long Tom's length expressed in calibers...

The Long Tom would be then... 6.97 m (22 ft 10 in) L/45 or 274" / 6.1" = 44.91 or L/45 (length divided by bore diameter)

Edited by IrishGunner

Thanks. Reminds me of Paul Hogan (Now that's a knife!).

I got accustomed to the look and length of the 5" / 38 WW II guns on our destroyers. Stubby little beggars.

You'll have to forgive my spelling. I was corrupted by the Brits and the Commonwealth whilst (had to do it) living in Singapore for seven years.

H

Edited by Hugh

You'll have to forgive my spelling. I was corrupted by the Brits and the Commonwealth whilst (had to do it) living in Singapore for seven years.

H

No worries... I could translate.... ;) I speak several foreign languages... the Queen's English being only one... :P (Sorry, "mates" couldn't resist.... :whistle: )

Well thanks for the lesson on caliber and length. I only fired the 90 mm recoilless rifle, that was enough for me.

Wouldn't it be great though to be on a battleship with the 16" guns firing full broadsides? Their 2700 pound shells weighed more than a Volkswagen bug in the '60s (less than 2000 pounds).

300px-BB61_USS_Iowa_BB61_broadside_USN.j

Notice how the ship appears to move sideways! That's the pressure wave from the muzzle blast.

Edited by IrishGunner

I 've probably mentioned it before, but I can remember sitting in a Boston Whaler off the DMZ in Viet Nam watching the rounds go ashore from the USS New Jersey. It sent a powerful mesage.

My gunnery instructor when I was in the artillery basic course in the 80s told stories of calling for naval gun fire in Vietnam and getting the Jersey!

My gunnery instructor when I was in the artillery basic course in the 80s told stories of calling for naval gun fire in Vietnam and getting the Jersey!

I did a little airborne spotting in the O-1s, but never got to shoot with her. A big disappointment.

I understand that the 16" guns later had rocket assisted shells with a range of 75 miles. I can't image the mathematics needed to hit anything, with time in flight and earth rotation etc.

We had a RAP round with the 5" naval gun, and the Army had 105 and 155 RAP rounds. I can't remember a RAP round for the 16/50, but perhaps someone here has a better memory. The 16" unassisted range was about 39 km.