News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello...I hope I have posted this in the correct forum. I am looking for information on a "Vizeadmiral a D. Engelhardt". His name and address is stamped on a IKF I recently acquired. The only reference I could find was to a Rear Admiral W. Engelhardt who commanded the II Division of the I Battle Squadron on the SMS Posen during the Battle of Skagerrak. Any help would be appreciated.

The flag measures 1,50 X 2,50 and is naval marked.

I see! So he was given the flag when he retired. That makes sense. I just received it yesterday and I must say that it is in immaculate condition. Vibrant colors and very little mothing. For awhile I even thought it may be a fake!!

Thanks for clearing that up for me..........I have maybe 14 flags ranging from IKFs to RKFs and this one is probably the nicest one. I will care for it in his memory.

Happy New Year!

Perhaps this may add to his memory and your knowledge and collection...

Sources:

- Deutschlands Admirale 1840-1945; Hans H. Hildebrandt & Ernest Herniot; Biblio Verlag, Osnabrück, 1988.

- Rangliste der Kaiserlich Deutschen Marine, 1914

- idem, 1918

Please excuse my ignorance...but I haven't a clue what the series of letters and numbers mean in the 4th and 5th photographs? Are they decorations?

Also, it looks like he retired in 1920...does that seem right? Anyone know how he died? He would have been 77 years old. Maybe from old age. Hopefully not in a bombing raid.

Thanks again!

It indicates that he was a very well decorated man, his Orders and Decorations were:

Prussian Order of the Red Eagle 3rd class with bow and 4th class with crown.

Prussian Crown Order 2nd class

Prussian Long Service Decoration

German Iron Cross 2nd and 1st class

Bayarian Military Merit Order 2nd class with swords

Oldenburg Friedrich August Cross 1st class

Royal Saxon Order of Albrecht, Commander 2nd class with swords

Order of the Crown of Wurttemberg, Commander with swords

Danish Dannebrog Order, Commander 2nd grade

Greek Order of the Redeemer, Knight of the Gold Cross

Royal Italian Order of the Crown, Commander

Dutch Order of Orange-Nassau, Commander

Norwegian Order of St.Olav, Commander 2nd class

Russia, Order of St.Anne, 2nd class

Sweden, Order of the Sword, Knight 1st class

Spain, Order of Merit, 3rd class

Turkey, Osmania Order, 3rd class

He was placed on the reserve list in 1919. His promotions were thus honorary.

Edited by Odulf