News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WWI Music

E Williams

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, this is one of the greatest songs of all time... About WWI... But can't we all imagine ourselves sitting down by the graveside of a comrade and rest for a while in the warm summer sun?

Ahh, the pipes. I doubt Mr. Snow could write an article about the "myths" of war if he ever heard the pipes play lowly.

Edited by IrishGunner

6. Gallipoli was fought by Australians and New Zealanders

_72344916_anzac-day.jpgAustralians and New Zealanders mark Anzac Day in Gallipoli, 2011

Far more British soldiers fought on the Gallipoli peninsula than Australians and New Zealanders put together.

The UK lost four or five times as many men in the brutal campaign as her imperial Anzac contingents. The French also lost more men than the Australians.

The Aussies and Kiwis commemorate Gallipoli ardently, and understandably so, as their casualties do represent terrible losses both as a proportion of their forces committed and of their small populations.

Thank you, Mr. Snow. I didn't know they were waltzing Mathilde in Pall Mall.

I think there can be little question that the music that came from WWI is of a different tone than the music we remember from WW2 or even later...

This war was different. The veterans of this war mostly remained silent. Historically, I contend this war meant more to our world than we give credit...

And I speak as a citizen of a nation that joined quite late. But my Irish heart, my Irish soul... These songs touch me in ways that Big Band and swing music from WW2 never will and never can. As an American, I think we have to go to Vietnam to find the same emotional attachment to certain music.

This is a great thread to help us remember the emotion of the times as we debate the diplomacy, politics, grand strategy, and tactic of the time...

I have a few records from WWI that I play on my gramophone. My favourites are Row Row Row (all the rage in summer 1914 so I was told) and the other side has It's a Long Way to Tipperary, If You Were the Only Girl and Gilbert the Filbert are also favs of mine.

These records are heavy and a good 3mm thick.

Tony