News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Jock,

I know that there are a couple of HJ knife databases on the web which allow owners to submit the information on their knives for the record, but do you know of any German databases which could be used to track the specific HJ member to whom the knife was issued?

-R.H.

R,H.

Since they are not serial number issued items it would be impossible to trace ownership. The only chance is if you get it directly from the family but even then there are no garuntees that it has not been replaced to the estate post war.

Jock:)

Guys,

While raking through the junk rediscovered these pair.

Maker Puma double marked and the other M7/56 = C.D. Schaaf.

Shame some clown sharpened the blade on the Puma!

My father-in-law had one of those German para knives, the blade had been shortened by constant sharpening over the years and when I asked why he did it he laughed at me and asked how he was supposed to cut anything with a blunt knife.

I told him what an unsharpened para knife might be worth and he laughed at me again!

I've no idea what happened to it, it probably ended up in the bin with a broken blade.

Tony

Yep, understand that. Why a mint knife? Mint weapons never saw the light of day. I get that collectors would want mint dress bayonets and daggers but weapons? Mint stuff is nice but I'd rather have something that has a 'been there' hardcase attitude with some history rather than something kept in a drawer for 100 years.

Sort of doesn't seem right that collectors let medals get all black when they were meant to be shiny when in use and weapons to be totally unused.

I suppose it helps us poorer people to buy up all the cheap scratched, sharpened and dented war gear and all those well loved shiny awards.

Keep up the good work you rich people.

A fair point, if it can't cut anything it's no use!

With regards mint stuff, can't stand it as it is normaly too good and too new to be true but that stuff is being manufactured for the rich, to a very high standard, good for them, keeps them away from the real stuff.

You would not be disappionted at the amount of dented scratched and battered stuff I rescue!

I'm amazed at the amount of dented and battered stuff that people "try" to rescue. Case in point a K98 bayonet sheath that someone tried to rescue.... with a dremmel tool.

There's stuff that needs rescuing and there's stuff that doesn't. Rescuing, if needed, should be done carefully and with advice from people who have learned from their errors.

Here's a matching numbers bayo that I rescued from being rescued. Well used, dented scabbard with the usual 'door ding', scratches, hammering to the end, loads of blueing gone and best of all, the point has been squared off to make a screwdriver tip. Good tool.

Back to the original topic though for a second. When did they stop adding the leather pad to the back side of the grip? I have a 1941 hj knife and it has a leather backstrap, but your 1941 hj knife has none, manufacturing difference?

Away from the item currently, but on the opposite side from the hj insignia there is a leather grip which I believe was to prevent wear to the belt strap. Picture to follow.

Mate,

Looks like your grip has broken off at some point and been repaired with leather, some of the original grip is present near the hilt?

An unusual repair but quite clever.

Edited by Jock Auld