News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Split WWI RWF POW trio

Only the 15 star medal from a trio to Ralph Astbury of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. His papers confirm he was a Gallipoli Veteran and then later was captured at Serre.

His papers are quite detailed listing him as having served with a number of BN's of the RWF before he was listed as missing on the 13/11/1916 and then later was confirmed as being captured.

I have about 8 pages of his records but will only show his MIC and a page from his records showing most of the details of his service, including mention of him being given 28 days field punishment #2. Another of the documents has him being admonished for being out overnight.

Sadly he died shortly after bing released at the end of the war, and a number of letters are among the papers from the regiment trying to ascertain from his doctor if he died as a result of his service.

• 3 weeks later...

Jerry - did you ever find any further info. for this medal ?

Hi Mervyn.

I have, as mentioned above, most of his pension records including what he died of and a number of letters from the regiment trying to find out if his ilness was the result of his service, but it seems no answer was forthcoming and hterefore he was not listed on the CWGC.

I'll add the full set of papers here in two posts.

A full set of papers - showing a man's record of service are always of great interest.

Thankyou for posting these. Mervyn

Hi Mervyn,

Rare to find so many had survived for him, as mostly all you can find is his MIC. Among them are some interesting snippets, his being admonished for being absent overnight, his being given 28 days field punishment no.2, the amount of battalions he served with, his being at Gallipoli and then being POW fron the end of the Somme battles, his cause of death so soon after his return and the attempts by his regiment to clarify how that had ocurred. I was very lucky with this medal, as most, as you will well know, often have very little to be discovered.

Some WWI medals can be a real delight in terms of research, as was the case with this example.