News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Photographic Department Sake Cup?

Brian Wolfe

Japanese Photographic Division?

I purchased a couple of sake cups from a local dealer a few weeks ago and the one he had claimed to be a Taiwan Occupation Commemorative, however, further research found that the kanji clearly stated it to be a China Incident Commemorative with no indication or suggestion that it had anything to do with Taiwan. No problems as I was happy with that purchase as I purchased it for the five artillery shell base (it is a helmet shaped cup).

The cup I have questions about is a nice kabuto sakazuki (helmet shaped cup) with a five cherry blossom petals base. This, the dealer claimed was from the Japanese Photographic Regiment or Division. I have exhausted my limited resources as far as research and now turn to you for assistance. As I stated it is a five cherry blossom pedals base and the kanji on either side of the cherry blossom pedals stands for “patriotism”

On the back of the helmet is a shape that appears to be a camera. It is hard to show it in the photos, but it certainly looks to be a camera to my eye. Above the “camera” are two kanji which I have tried to show in the photos. I took one photo of the cup upside down and turned it around with Photo Shop to try to show this as best as I could.

I have taken photos of the two groups of two kanji on the inside as well.

I do hope you can shed some light on this mystery and your assistance is, as always, appreciated.

Regards

Brian

The outside embossed shape is the Japanese national flag, not a camera. I have seen these often. This dealer should be more restrained in his/her descriptions.

The interior kanji read 'Discharge Commemorative.'

Best,

Rich

Hi Rich,

Well, that's a good one on me. In retrospect I suppose I sould have known that was the national flag. :angry:

I'm not angry with the dealer as I did make the purchase for the cup's base. Still the dealer should indeed be more careful and I should stay with dealers I know and trust. Lesson learned.

I have Dan King's book and the style of kanji is different in his examples for Discharge Commemorative; I have so much to learn.

Many, many thanks for your assistance, Rich.

Regards

Brian

hi brian seeing you mentioned bases here is one of the less common, hand made I think demon face base inscribed on the inside with soldiers name nakashima with the inscription your body is lighter than a feather but duty is heavier than a mountain do your duty and come home to smell the blossoms( thanks rich c for translation)

Hi mickey,

That is one of the most unique cups I've seen. Obviously, from the poem and army star it is military and I would think that would make it quite scarse. Of course if it was hand made then it could very well be one of a kind.

I would like to start a thread just for sake cups and bottles and unless someone starts one first I'll get to it shortly.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful sake cup with us.

Regards

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Demon faces and the tengu (mountain demon) are common bases on cups, but not found often on military cups. Here is one civilian cup from my collection. Uninscribed, but excellent design.

Edited by fukuoka