News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

Hello,

I get a short time ago this nice uniform from a Sutherland Highlander soldier.

Can you tell me something about the date of production and the current price for that kind of pieces? It is verry difficult to find a older spporan from this regiment?

Thanks

Geetings from Germany

Michael

Hi Michael - can't understand how members have missed your post - lovely uniform.

I suppose it could be a ceremonial uniform from before WW2 - or after. I am no expert on these uniforms

and traditions of dress were very strong. The Feather Bonnet is a lovely example - and must be quite

valuable in it's own right. They are made using ostrich feathers and different Regiments had different numbers

of 'tails'. This one has three and I think it was the only Regt. to have that number. Others had one , or two.

Having mentioned an early date, a closer look at the tunic doesn't show any of the loops to attach medals - so

it may be later. Where did you acquire this lovely uniform - I suspect it must command a good price to a collector ? Mervyn

Full Dress was suspended in 1914 and, apart from officers and bandsmen, the scarlet doublet was never worn by Highland soldiers again. Full Dress, continued 'on the books' after WW1, appearing in the 1934 Dress Regulations butwas finally done away with, except for the Foot Guards, Household cavalry and Royal Horse Artillery at th eend of the 1930s. For George VI's Coronation in May 1937 a special blue Coronation Dress was ordered which formed the basis of No.1 Dress after WW2.

So, on the face of it, as this is an ordinary soldier's doublet, it should date from 1914 or earlier. There should be shoulder titles on the yellow shoulder straps. In the run up to WW1 these would have been brass. Prior to 1908 they were embroidered in white worsted wool.

I can't comment on the bonnet or badge, except to say that A&SH bonnets had six tails, the Black Watch bonnet had four tails, the Seaforth, Gordon, and Cameron five, (though that might have been just for officers). Never less than four. The 'Sutherland' dicing on the cap band is correct but there is always the possibility of a more modern bandsman's bonnet with synthetic feathers being substituted for an authentic bonnet with the ostrich feathers.

Better detail pictures would allow informed comments to be made concerning its date etc. Interior images of both Bonnet and tunic might help, traces of any labels or inkstamps for instance. If pre 1914 the tunic should have a paper label or signs where it once was, similar to this from a RWF example in my collection.