Need Help with Fake GAb 50

Called a " common fake".Said to be "obvious ".Not to me.Perhaps I'm too obtuse.Anyway,I'd appreciate it if somebody could walk me through it,perhaps with a side-by-side comparison with an original.

Thankful for any help.

Steve

Steve,

If I knew I would tell you, the best idea is what you suggest. Try and find a picture example of what is 'deemed' the real deal and sit them side by side. It is very well made but for the money they command I expect the fraudster will go the distance. It is only obvious if some-one shares the reason why and the source of the info. I never bother looking at these level of badge since I doubt I would ever find one that is beyond doubt and in my price range (the scrap value of the zinc). I am looking at an old Niemans book page 710 and yours is similar but not identicle to one in his book. Now bare in mind he used to authenticate and dictate market value of these type of things so I think it is fair to assume a lot of what he called original is far from it since he was like a law unto himself. The difference I see are the feather detail on the eagle and that yours has a lop sided appearance, the right wing (as you fly) is higher and a bit larger than the left? It is like you say though you need to have two similar next to each other. I suppose another angle you can chase down is how many accepted manufacturers of this type of badge there were, who says that and based on what?

good luck with the search for info

Jock :)

Edited by Jock Auld

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Blog Comments

• As a theology student my professor, a much published former Naval chaplain, set us an essay, saying that if we could answer that successfully we would be guaranteed  a good degree "Which of the gospel writers was the biggest liar, discuss."   I got a good mark, but  don't want to be burned for heresy.   P
    • As my father used to say: "Tain't so much Pappy's a liar - he just remembers big."  
    • Brian: First, let me say that I always enjoy reading your blog and your "spot on" comments.  Another fine topic with such a broad expansion into so many different facets.  I had watched this a week or two ago and when reading your blog, it reminded me of this great quote.   There is a great video on the origins of "Who was Murphy in Murphy's Law"   Anyway, about mid way through this video, there is this great quote and I think it sums it up quite well to your statem
    • I've received word from the Curator that she has permission to re-open this summer.   We're already making plans for a November event at the Museum.   Michael
    • I recall I did the same on hot days at Old Fort York back in 1973-74 - wool uniforms, and at 90F they would let you take your backpack off.   Michael