News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help in identifying SBP

Fellow collectors, have you ever seen this SBP or can help identify it? The crown looks very early and of course WR for William. V probably for volunteer, but thats all I can surmise. I checked Parkyn's book but no success and am hoping smarter people here may know. Apologies for blurry photo it is all I have and many thanks.

It might be 'LVI' i.e. Latin numerals for 56.

In which case the SBP could possibly relate to the 56th (West Essex) Regiment of Foot. The web shows only an image of an oval SBP with Arab numerals. The regimental colour did at some point bear Latin numerals. I don't know whether by the 1830s we might expect to see the Gibraltar insignia awarded for service in the siege of 1779-83 as commemorated in the regiment's motto 'Montis Insignia Calpe.'

The 56th returned to Britain from Mauritius in 1826 being stationed initially in Hull before moving to Ireland in 1827. The regiment sailed to Jamaica in 1831, leaving four depot companies in England. They remained in Jamaica until 1840 when they moved to Canada, returning to Britain in 1842. (Dates from Wikipedia)

• 2 weeks later...