News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British WW2 Medal Bar

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

I hope to have this one in my possession soon. It is unnamed so I dont know who it originally belonged to .. but it was a British Soldier.

I notice there is no Defence Medal on this bar ... this guy fought through Africa / Italy and Western Europe ...

What would be the circumstances that he would NOT have been eligible for this medal? Thanks.

Edited by Darrell

Hello Darrell,

First of all I know whose medals they must have been. The must have belonged to my step-father's dad as he had the same but they went missing.

Feeling guilty? Want to give them to me if you should get them soon? rolleyes.gif

As for your question, I believe the Defence Medal was awarded to members of defence units like the ARP or Flak.

My Grandad was in the RAC but received the Defence Medal along with his Stars but I don't know what he defended in England before going to France in June 44.

Tony

I know that Pikemedals has got the criteria for the award of the defence medal, hopefully he will post it.

It was actually a pretty hard medal to be awarded as the criteria was pretty stringent and revolved around home service. Many troops who served overseas and even with periods at home would not have been entitiled to it.

For instance a police officer serving in London would have to have been serving for at least three years between 1939 to 1945 to have been awarded it.

Guest pikemedals

will start to post the qualifications for the ww2 medals & stars over the weekend.paul

Guest pikemedals

back again the defence medal is a funny old medal to get.one ex-chief stoker t.h.stephens r.n.who got a 1915 trio, royal navy lsgc medal.msm all in the graet war. he got the defence medal in ww2 for being a gateman at a navy hospital!

Edited by pikemedals

Guest Darrell

Well I managed to dig up an old book that has some requirements listed (applicable to Canadians). Don't know if the qualifications varied much for other Commonwealths?

Interesting group Darrell. This guy could have been a Jock . The campaign medals are exactly the same as my father got, and he was with 51 (Highland) Division, North Africa, up through Italy and into Europe in June 44.

Whatever units this guy was in must have been in the same theatres at the same time as the Highlanders

Guest Darrell

Interesting group Darrell. This guy could have been a Jock . The campaign medals are exactly the same as my father got, and he was with 51 (Highland) Division, North Africa, up through Italy and into Europe in June 44.

Whatever units this guy was in must have been in the same theatres at the same time as the Highlanders

Quite true Gordon. They may have even fought together :food-smiley-004:

The medals did come in ... here's my scan of the group.

Guest Darrell

Here are my uncle's posted elsewhere as well. Although he first landed in North Africa, it wasnt till after hostilities ceased and it was a layover until they went to Sicily and Italy.