News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Imperial Uniform Underwear

These shirts are a mixture of materials. They are either all cotton linen twill (leicht Baumwollköper) or a cotton jersey (Trikot) with linen collar and cuffs. All buttons are cloth covered. Further changes in the material were necessitated as the cotton shortage got more severe. The Trikot material came to be made from a mixture of synthetic cotton (Kunstbaumwolle), cotton waste (Baumwollabfällen) and virgin cotton (reiner Baumwolle).

Chip

Chip

The Navy is wonderful but my favourite is #4 what 'bits' are in it?

I'd love the neck pouch to be a salt bag but doubt it is personally, its too large didn't they only hold 100gms?

Cheers

ps I'm still buying you a camera,,,when's ya birthday. lol!

Eric,

I have never heard of an issue "neck pouch". Where did you come up with that? I have several photos of Salzbeutel and they sure look like this.

What did you mean "what "bits" are in it?"?  Nicht verstehe....

Chip

Chip

Your jersey looked to have maybe wool fibres in it? want to sell.  :)

The pouch thing blimey I maybe shooting myself in the foot here because those ration puppies are scarce, I'll try and find something on the net but I thought they are different.

Later

Eric 

courtesy of me W1 gig chums:

Bag of salt 50g (1.8 oz), 10 cm W x 20 cm L (3.9†W x 7.9†L). The 10 cm wide and 18 cm long salt bag was composed of cloth and was adjusted with laces. Due to a lack of cotton during the war, the Prussian War Department introduced a bag made of papercloth on October 8, 1917. The bag had to be prepared from pure rag paper of an inconspicuous color; it was closed by two 20 cm long and 1 cm wide woven paper laces that were sewn into the side seam on the upper edge. Bavaria accepted the bag on October 23, 1917.

Chip my bag is 12cm X 18cm it also has a twine loop for attaching to a button.

Eric

Eric,

Your description is a direct translation of Kraus.

10cm x 18cm vs 12cm x 18cm. Doesn't seem like much difference to me. So, my question remains, if it's not a Salzbeutel, what is it?

There is no mention in Kraus of any wool being used in issue shirts.

Chip

Eric,

Your description is a direct translation of Kraus.

I didn't check, interesting.

Well, works for me on the pouch  :) but I notice 12 x 18 is half a Zeltzubehörbeutal  but 10 x 20 isn't really us Europeans are more accurate on measurements than Americans lol!

Eric