News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Books: Prussian Golden Militärverdienstkreuz

Hi,

• Franz Josef Ophaus: Das Preußische Goldene Militär-Verdienst-Kreuz. Verlag Karl Siegismund. Berlin 1936. (Der pour le merite des deutschen Unteroffiziers)
    • Klaus D. Patzwall (Hrsg.): Das preussische Goldene Militär-Verdienst-Kreuz. Militair-Verlag Patzwall. Norderstedt 1986. (Quellen und Darstellungen zur Geschichte der Orden und Ehrenzeichen, Band 2)
    • Willi Geile: Das Preußische Goldene Militärverdienstkreuz. Seine Verleihungen aufgeschlüsselt nach Regimenten. (= Statistische Ausarbeitungen zur Phaleristik Deutschlands. Band II.) PHV. Offenbach 1997. ISBN 3-932543-01-7.

I have the Ophaus book.... does Patzwall bring anything new to the table? Is it worth getting?

I assume the Geile article is in a Journal that is not to be found anyway....

Hello Chris.

The Patzwall book is based largely on the Ophaus book. In addition the book by Dr.B. Nickel Von den Taten der Tapferen. 100 Kampfberichte von Inhabern..., Berlin Bernhard & Graefe 1938 was used , all per statements from Patzwall. It does include some reports of deeds which led to the bestowal. Included is that of Gerhard Fieseler, who later developed the Fieseler Storch .

In the past I have never been impressed by books from Patzwall. This, my dislikes include a severe lack of review and corrections before print. Perhaps I may be biased but I believe one wants to put best foot forward with anything meant for the public to read and then value or not.

The third publication you mention seems a part of a journal or such. So may be difficult to find.

Bernhard H. Holst