News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gordon, I'm not really sure, but there are some differendes between them. The finish of the second one is very smooth and it shines much, on the back side also without the typical bubbles of oxide of zink under the painting. The first one has the tipical mate finish and the bubbles. The the weight and the measures are correct, so perhaps is zinc but the finish is not the same than in the other one.

OK, I have to say from this shot, I don't like so much what I see. Every original one I have seen (where the finish is intact) has had a definite "white" silver finish. This kind of "antique silver" finish with darkened areas in the recesses is common on copies, and it does have the look of plated brass to it.

Here is the same area on mine

Also the finish is too fine and smooth. This one I have posted is probably the best I have come across in over 30 years and looks great, but even here when it is looked at under magnification, you can see a certain coarseness to the finish and a little bit of corrosion to the edge of the wing.

Some of the originals had a copper coating applied first before the silvering ( in the same way as some zink cap insignia ) and keep the finish better, later ones I believe were just silvered directly over the zink as suffer much more from bubbling. Yours just looks too smooth and perfect.

What are the dimensions/weight?

Normally you should expect 76-77mm wide, and 24mm high. Thickness can vary slightly between around 2.2mm and 3mm.

Because of the slight variances in the thickness of the castings, weights can vary from around 16-17g for the thinner ones to a max of around 20-21gr.

The first one of yours is fine, but I don't have a good feeling about the second one.

Gordon, the badge is not in silver is in broze, but the finish shines a lot in the pictures, because it looks like it was polished.

The wide is 76,5 mm, and 24,5 mm high, the thickness is around 3mm, and the weight is 19,1gr.

Now I've looked at the images on another monitor and having darkened the image slightly to get rid of the glare I can see that it is indeed a Bronze one. I can also see what looks like the very beginnings of bubbling (circled).

If dimensions and weights match near enough bang on compared with the correct dimensions/weights for original zinkers, I am much happier that it isn't one of the high quality tombak fakes, but an original zink piece..