News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Luftwaffe observer's badge - GWL

Hello to all!

I am looking for some advice and I hope I have come to the right place.

I am in Auckland, New Zealand.  I have had a GWL Luftwaffe observers badge almost all of my life.  My dad gave it to me in about 1980.  To the best of my knowledge my Dad had it since the 1950's.  The pin and clasps have broken off (and are long lost), but otherwise the badge looks to be in decent shape.  The factory is GWL, which I understand (from internet research) to make the badge more desirable.  Some photographs are attached.

I am fairly certain it is genuine, given its age, however of course I defer to your expertise on this, and if it is fake, I would like to know!

I would like to sell this as it is surplus to requirements.  However neither Ebay (nor the local equivalent) allow the listing of auctions for any item with a swastika.  There seems to be no alternative site to use in NZ (i.e. no Gumtree). 

Are you able to advise:

1. Whether the item is genuine; and
    2. How I should go about selling this?

Many thanks in advance!

IMAG0185.jpg

IMAG0188.jpg

IMAG0190.jpg

Good morning, Auckland...and welcome to the forum.

Going on these pics I would say that you have an original Luftwaffe Observer's badge by the maker Gebrüder Wegerhoff, Lüdenscheid (GWL).

And yes, you are right….GWL pieces are highly sort after, and can be expensive…but it’s all about condition. The missing reverse hardware is going to seriously affect the value.

That having been said, It is a piece of history and I’m sure that you will have no problem selling it.

So, dealers, forum sales sections (such as ours), auctions sites (military). An internet search should bring up some options.

For comparison, here is an example of a complete badge by the same maker.GWL_Observer_Final.thumb.jpg.00c9b6ab99f