News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Egypt Campaign Medal

Hello readers.

A recent addition to my tiny British collection, here a Egypt Campaign Medal with clasps :
     Tofrek

El-Teb

Suakin 1884

The rim inscription is: 4782 Pte A.Rose R.M.L.I. PL.Dn.

I am unfamiliar with the PL.Dn part of the inscription and would appreciate any help in clarifying that.

img582.thumb.jpg.9429fca271058ff5afdc4e4img583.thumb.jpg.199526fa37d359e672d19a8

Bernhard H. Holst

Bernhard,

Are you aware that the clasps on the medal are all copies? They may be contemporary, but they are certainly not original.

The medal has been re-named as the naming on your medal is also not in the convention / format you would expect for a Royal Marines recipient - the abbreviation PL.Dn (for Plymouth Division) was never officially engraved or impressed on Royal Marines medals on the medals issued for the Egypt / Soudan campaigns.

As information.

Mark

Only one "A Rose" Plymouth division on the roll, different number no clasps, can we see the naming please....

Hello dante.

I am unable to photograph the rim inscription. I posted it as I read it.

Mark.

I am quite a newcomer to British medals. Acquired this ( and others) at a US auction realizing full well the risk of getting a questionable one or an otherwise flawed article. I looked at it as an acceptable sample of an attractive British medal.

Thank you for your comment.

Bernhard H. Holst