News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A little help please two British medals

Guys,

The miniature set I got out of the skip yesterday but I only had 10 minutes to look as they were closing.  I hope the full size medals are not in there too as it will get pushed Monday morning and then lost forever as am away at BASF, Ludwigshafen for the week so I can't bend in.  The question is what is the one on the blue and red ribbon?

The second query is for the husband of my wife's friend, Grandad was in Africa as can be seen but what is the strange looking medal on the right of the group in the frame?

Thanks for any info.

20150927_133653.jpg

20150927_015242.jpg

Edited by Jock Auld

Jock,

The mini is Brunei - General Service Medal (Worcestershire Medal Service have them for sale). The other medal is the Gerneral Service Cross - unofficial/commemorative. Shouldn't really be mounted with the WWII medals.

Edited by ÖSTA

According to an article in the February 2015 issue of Medal News there are three types of the miniature Brunei GSM and the one you illustrate in post #1 is a Type II that bears the Royal Insignia of Sultan Huji Hassanal Bolkiah who took over from his father in 1967. In 1980 the cross was deleted and replaced by a laurel wreath.  The full-sized Brunei GSM that I illustrate in post #4 is the same type.

Gunner 1

• 1 month later...

I know this is a little late however I thought I should mention that, after looking at the photos, it seems the 1939-1945 Star and the Africa Star have the incorrect ribbons on them and should be swapped with each other.

I just thought I should point it out to you.