News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

An 1850s-1860s Medal Bar (Sans Medals)

Guest Rick Research

Can it be? :Cat-Scratch: Or is this the 1890s mount for a REALLY ancient Old Guy?

[attachmentid=31176]

1) W?rttemberg Campaign Medal

2) W?rttemberg Long Service Cross (note hooks positioned for the heights of the awards) on mid 19th century ribbon (wide blue and tiny edges).

I've seen Bavarian hook back medal bars from the 1880s (attributable to officers who died then), but this would be the earliest BACKED medal bar I've ever seen. They are usually that raw, nasty, uncovered MESS right up to the late 1890s/1900.

There is no 1870 Medal on here so:

is this PRE-1870?

Or do we have an elderly veteran of the wars against Denmark, career officer or NCO retired ( :speechless1: ) with 18 to 25 years service BEFORE 1870 (and not called back up for that)... wearing this pair almost 50 years later

in his 80s???????

I dunno, me. Before 1897, all turns misty as far as my knowledge goes. :rolleyes:

Hello Rick:

This is a very nice early bar. I have some ideas regarding what was on it at some point. The first position was undoubtely for a W?rttemberg 1866 campaign medal. As far as the service decoration possibilities from this era, it is unlikely that he was an officer (active or reserve) because of the lack of much else there, but he may have been a long-serving NCO which would would have made him eligible for the 21 year service cross. I have never seen W?rttemberg pre-1913 enlisted long service clasps made to be suspended from a ribbon and enameled (like the Prussians sometimes did), so this answer is probably feasible.

Of course, 1848-49 campaign service is a possibility, but I think that this would be too remote and unlikely, and as you note this group was assembled at a later date, but is for pre-1870 service.

I believe that this fellow came on board after 1849 and was out before 1870.

Best regards,

"SPM"