News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Colonel Van D. Bell his 1st Navy Cross - a Legend in the Corps.

Rogi

I posted this Navy Cross in another forum (not sure if the name is ok so I'll keep it out for now) but since GMIC is like family to me :) I would like to share this Cross here as well. (It is a unofficial engraved cross) and on the other forum the brooch was identified as replaced from a USN Brooch to US Army Brooch.

First, a small intro and then some photos, a couple months ago I had a bit of luck and opportunity to purchase Colonel Van D. Bell's ("Ding Dong Bell" to his Marines) first Navy Cross awarded for action on May 29, 1951 in Korea from a forum member, it is engraved on the reverse with his name and date of the action. He received a second Navy Cross for Vietnam as well (Gold Star), as well as many other medals for his courageous actions.

This opened up an amazing research journey and showed just how much his Marines loved and respected this great leader/warrior. I would like to post some of his history if fellow forum members are interested in a following post (just say the word ;) , as he had served in the Corps from 1936 to 1967  and even further in his role as CO of Marine Barracks and Ground Defense Force at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba from 1969 to 1971 (as well as stateside service that I can outline later).

Col. Bell passed away in 2009, R.I.P Col. Bell.

His first Navy Cross citation reads:

The President of the United States takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Van D. Bell, Jr. (0-44563), First Lieutenant, U.S. Marine Corps, for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations against an armed enemy of the United Nations while serving as Executive Officer of Company B, First Battalion, Seventh Marines, FIRST Marine Division (Reinforced), in action against enemy aggressor forces in the vicinity of Hwach'on, Korea, on 29 May 1951. Accompanying the reserve platoon during the initial phase of his company's assault against a series of strongly defended hostile positions on a steep, rocky ridgeline, First Lieutenant Bell was quick to act when the leading elements suddenly came under devastating automatic weapons and small-arms fire and the platoon leader and several men became casualties. Moving quickly forward through the intense barrage, he assumed command of the disorganized platoon and, effecting a prompt and skillful reorganization, spearheaded an attack to neutralize three enemy bunkers in succession. Blown from his feet and painfully wounded by a bursting grenade upon reaching the fourth, heavily fortified emplacement, he succeeded in regaining his feet and, although partially blinded from facial wounds, led a final charge to capture the hill. Refusing medical attention, he continued at the head of his platoon to another ridge in pursuit of the fleeing enemy and, although wounded in the leg during the advance, personally directed machine-gun fire on the remaining hostile positions to the front, staunchly refusing assistance until the position had been consolidated. By his valiant leadership, indomitable fighting spirit and tenacious perseverance in the face of tremendous odds, First Lieutenant Bell served as an inspiration to all who observed him, and his selfless devotion to duty throughout the bitter action was in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

1.jpg.540630bcf020e09d0de1b236f4042869.j

2.jpg.13c511cc74ae2d5f3eabfb856975bea3.j

3.jpg.b703fba15bb029ba45751ac2c1b18ca5.j

4.jpg.f6a4e26ea86f89a54037d300f313a779.j

Hope you guys/gals enjoy :) and as always, comments are greatly appreciated :D

• 2 months later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    On 10/31/2015 at 10:19, Rogi said:

I posted this Navy Cross in another forum (not sure if the name is ok so I'll keep it out for now) but since GMIC is like family to me :) I would like to share this Cross here as well. (It is a unofficial engraved cross) and on the other forum the brooch was identified as replaced from a USN Brooch to US Army Brooch.

First, a small intro and then some photos, a couple months ago I had a bit of luck and opportunity to purchase Colonel Van D. Bell's ("Ding Dong Bell" to his Marines) first Navy Cross awarded for action on May 29, 1951 in Korea from a forum member, it is engraved on the reverse with his name and date of the action. He received a second Navy Cross for Vietnam as well (Gold Star), as well as many other medals for his courageous actions.

This opened up an amazing research journey and showed just how much his Marines loved and respected this great leader/warrior. I would like to post some of his history if fellow forum members are interested in a following post (just say the word ;) , as he had served in the Corps from 1936 to 1967  and even further in his role as CO of Marine Barracks and Ground Defense Force at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba from 1969 to 1971 (as well as stateside service that I can outline later).

Col. Bell passed away in 2009, R.I.P Col. Bell.

His first Navy Cross citation reads:

The President of the United States takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Van D. Bell, Jr. (0-44563), First Lieutenant, U.S. Marine Corps, for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations against an armed enemy of the United Nations while serving as Executive Officer of Company B, First Battalion, Seventh Marines, FIRST Marine Division (Reinforced), in action against enemy aggressor forces in the vicinity of Hwach'on, Korea, on 29 May 1951. Accompanying the reserve platoon during the initial phase of his company's assault against a series of strongly defended hostile positions on a steep, rocky ridgeline, First Lieutenant Bell was quick to act when the leading elements suddenly came under devastating automatic weapons and small-arms fire and the platoon leader and several men became casualties. Moving quickly forward through the intense barrage, he assumed command of the disorganized platoon and, effecting a prompt and skillful reorganization, spearheaded an attack to neutralize three enemy bunkers in succession. Blown from his feet and painfully wounded by a bursting grenade upon reaching the fourth, heavily fortified emplacement, he succeeded in regaining his feet and, although partially blinded from facial wounds, led a final charge to capture the hill. Refusing medical attention, he continued at the head of his platoon to another ridge in pursuit of the fleeing enemy and, although wounded in the leg during the advance, personally directed machine-gun fire on the remaining hostile positions to the front, staunchly refusing assistance until the position had been consolidated. By his valiant leadership, indomitable fighting spirit and tenacious perseverance in the face of tremendous odds, First Lieutenant Bell served as an inspiration to all who observed him, and his selfless devotion to duty throughout the bitter action was in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.

1.jpg.540630bcf020e09d0de1b236f4042869.j

2.jpg.13c511cc74ae2d5f3eabfb856975bea3.j

3.jpg.b703fba15bb029ba45751ac2c1b18ca5.j

4.jpg.f6a4e26ea86f89a54037d300f313a779.j

Hope you guys/gals enjoy :) and as always, comments are greatly appreciated :D

How did you obtain my uncle's 1st Navy Cross? 

1 minute ago, Harold Bell said:

How did you obtain my uncle's 1st Navy Cross? 

11 minutes ago, Harold Bell said:

I see. It just strikes me odd that somehow it became available to anyone. I'll contact his son, Col. Douglas Bell USMC retired, and get the info. I am glad it's in the hands if someone that appreciates my uncle's heroism. 

Thank you for your Uncle's (and family's) service and I hope I will do his history justice on this site, he had a long and heroic career and beyond in retirment as well, I really appreciate a lot of reunion photos and history online that is available. 

I'd like to share that research with you.

I'll provide any info. you need through our pm system.

Edited by Rogi

• 5 months later...

Rogi, is there any way you can email me? I'll give you my personal email. Col. Van Bell was my grandfather. I just want to talk to you more about what you have. Thank you!

Cayman.bell@yahoo.com is my email

• 4 months later...

I served under Col. Bell in '66-'67 with 1/1. I was at his burial at Arlington as were a few others from that time. I remember well, when he took leave to go home and marry for the first time and I recall the event that earned him his second Navy Cross. But it blows my mind that someone would have put his awards up for sale.

On 1/31/2016 at 19:45, Harold Bell said:

Demarest . ..I fail to believe my uncle's Navy Cross that ended up in someone's hands isn't a fake. There is no possible way he would sell or even give away his awards, especially one of his two Navy Crosses. I've tried to get to the bottom of this but the buyer will not give up the name of the seller. 

Edited by Harold Bell