News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Saxon Belt Buckles, Jäger, Infantry, Arty...

Hi, here are some Saxon Belt buckles.....

Top left is marked 12J, Top right 32A, botton left 182.R......sax1.thumb.jpg.77f9358ee2dc9e3d2d8d68728sax2.thumb.jpg.f89c95fce64139a720eb37d7c

There seems to be more variation than with Prussian ones.... this sseems to be Crass buckle with brass disk... and "Greened/Blackened" in the front? Seems to be too thick to be a patina.....sax1a.jpg.e531c105cbf6f6ca185af80538da54sax1b.jpg.7f29d6fb91392f953083b1392d8ce7

This is non magnetic, maybe Zink?sax1c.jpg.527157722d8de75621675e68a6139csax1d.jpg.7003821a931f47537309995301261d

Hi Chip.

The last one is indeed a Zinker... Is it my imagination or is there way more variety in Saxon Buckles than in Prussian or bavarian?

I only have 4... but already all so very different !!

What is your take on the top right? It seems from the front to be Green/Grey finished,,, but on the back we see the buckle AND the rondel are brass? I have only ever seen saxons with brass buckles and nickle rondels....

Chris,

All the state buckles have variations. Perhaps Saxon examples have a bit more.

Brass buckles were subdued for field use. I'm not sure, but I think this was factory or at least Bekleidungsamt (or Werkstatt or Instansetzungs) work. The finishes are normally a smooth feldgrau paint that is baked on the front, both top and bottom, but not the reverse. I have a Prussian example and I have seen Bavarian ones too. Perhaps yours is just Saxony's take on the process? 

Edited by Chip