News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German and Serbian WW1 Military Graveyard in Belgrade

Greetings,
    Couple of days ago I visited German Military Graveyard (Deutscher Heldenfriedhof) in Belgrade's neighborhood Banovo brdo. I've made couple of photos which I will post in this topic together with other ones I found on various, mainly Serbian, forums. 
    The graveyard was built on the orders of August von Mackansen in 1915 and it was the final resting place of German soldiers that mainly belonged to 208th Reserve Regiment (Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 208) 88th Reserve Brigade (88. Reserve-Infanterie-Brigade), 44th Reserve Division (44. Reserve-Division). They lost their lives during battles that took place between October 7th and November 10th 1915. 
    According to Mackansen's orders Serbian soldiers of the 7th Infantry Regiment "King Petar I" (7. пешадијски пук "Краљ Петар I") were to be buried on the same place, some speak of 30, other sources claim 36 of them.
    German soldiers who died during WW2 were also buried there. The whole complex was maintained and kept in a decent shape during the interwar period but all that changed after the Second World War ended. 
    Couple of photos that show how it looked like in the past, first the central monument dedicated to the soldiers of the 208th Reserve Regiment.
    01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg

Edited by paja

"Mackensen bench" built when Wilhelm II visited Belgrade. It overlooks the Sava river, which back then was the border and could be seen from the graveyard. In the meantime many buildings were erected and today they are blocking the once beautiful view.
    Mackensen is probably the most respected enemy in Serbia, couple of his speeches about Serbian troops that are often quoted:
    "You are not going to the Italian, or Russian, or the French front. You are going into a fight against a new enemy who is dangerous, tough, brave and sharp. You are going to the Serbian front, to Serbia, and Serbs are people who love their freedom and who are willing to fight for it to their last. Do your best so this small enemy does not overshadow your glory and compromise the success you’ve achieved so far in the glorious German army."
    "We fought against an army that we have heard about only in fairy tales, who defended themselves with virtually unprecedented courage. The moment we conquered Serbia hurt us more than her allies."
    The other reasons why he was so respected has to do with the behavior of other occupying forces who committed mass atrocities against the Serbian civilian population and prisoners of war. This was not the case with the Germans.
    09.jpg

Edited by paja

The central monument is in pretty bad shape, I'm not sure when exactly was it reinforced but certainly recently.
    Inscription: "DAS PREUSS. RES. INF. RGT. 208 - SEINEN GEFALLENEN HELDEN" (Das Preußische Reserve – Infanterieregiment 208 seinen gefallenen Helden).
    6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

Edited by paja

There were metal plates with list of names on the back side, I'm not sure what exactly happened to them, unfortunately they might have been stolen. They can be seen on the 4th photo published in a newspaper article around a year and a half ago.
    10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg

Serbian monument with inscription in German "HIER RUHEN SERBISCHE HELDEN" and Serbian "ОВДЕ ПОЧИВАЈУ СРПСКИ ЈУНАЦИ" (Serbian Heroes Rest Here).
    In front of it, inscription in Serbian "Споменик српским ратницима јуначки изгинулим бранећи Београд у јесен 1915. године подигнут је по наређењу команданта немачке војске маршала фон Макензена као израз поштовања храбрим противницима" (Monument to the Serbian warriors heroically fallen while defending Belgrade in the fall of 1915. erected on the order of the commander of the German army field marshal von Mackensen as an expression of respect for the brave opponents).
    14.jpg15.jpg16.jpg17.jpg18.jpg

Edited by paja

The Pyramid, today within that private school's yard. I walked all the way around and couldn't see it from the outside.
    Luckily I stumbled upon a few photos here.
    The marble was supposed to be used for Ivan Meštrović fountain in city center but ended up there. After WW2 it was removed and only the bricks and concrete remained. 
    22.jpg23.jpg24.jpg

Edited by paja

As I walked around I noticed couple of German tombstones in the bushes behind the central monument, right in front of an old wall. Unfortunately I was in a hurry, after cleaning one of them I noticed that the inscription is almost unreadable. Next time I go I'll try to clean more of them and see if the inscription can be read. Iron Cross is clearly visible on the last photo.
    27.jpg
    25.jpg
    26.jpg
    28.jpg
    29.jpg
    30.jpg

Edited by paja

Look from the other side of the wall. Right in the corner is the old house in which the cemetery keeper used to live. It is still occupied today but the current residents have nothing to do with the graveyard.
    31.jpg
    32.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg
    IMG_0521.jpg

LTN. D. RES. (Leutnant der Reserve) BÖTTGER AUGUST
    LTN. D. RES. (Leutnant der Reserve) SPITZER LUDWIG
    LTN. D. RES. (Leutnant der Reserve) BRAMSTEDT WILLY
    MUSKET. (Musketier) HAIN PAUL
    GEFR. (Gefreiter) SCHUPPENER WILHELM
    MUSK. (Musketier) MIENKUS JOHANN

IMG_0537.jpg

LTNT. HANS MÜLLER
    FUSARTL. RGT. 4 (Fuss-Artillerie-Regiment 4. ?) 17.10.1918

Forgive me if I made some mistakes, my German is not very good and I'm not so familiar with the Imperial German Army.
    Photos found here.

Edited by paja

Now here's the strange part, it's not only the German tombstones that are scattered around, there are Serbian ones as well. This gives you an idea of how much the new, post-WW2, Yugoslav authorities cared about WW1 military graveyards. My personal belief is that the only reason why the whole complex wasn't completely wiped away is the Mackensen's monument to Serbian troops. There were cemeteries in other parts of Belgrade and Yugoslavia, that were completely destroyed (I wrote about this in the Austro-Hungarian section of the forum).
    According to several sources earthly remains of Serbian soldiers were exhumed and placed inside the collective tomb on New Cemetery (Ново гробље). Some say the same thing happened with one French and one British soldier but I wasn't able to find out where did they move others.

IMG_0530.jpg

SERB LEUTNANT RADISAV LJUBISAVLJEVIĆ
    3 KOMP. 4 BAT. 7 REG.

Поручник Радисав Љубисављевић, 3. чета, 4. батаљон, 7. пук

IMG_0536.jpg

SERB. SOLDAT ŽIVOJIN MILOSAVLJEVIĆ
    4. KOMP. 4. BAT. 7. REG.

Војник Живојин Милосављевић 4. чета 4. батаљон 7. пук

Edited by paja

I've been searching the web for more information when I stumbled upon an interesting newspaper article.
    According to the author some work was done in the late '80s during Helmut Kohl's visit to Yugoslavia. At that time someone had a brilliant idea, they took the tombstones of people buried on New Cemetery whose families didn't pay the fee for over a decade and reused them here. The article shows a photo of a tombstone from 1975, the whole text can be read here.
    00.jpg

Edited by paja

• 4 weeks later...

Information found here (German War Graves Commission website).

Das in Belgrad befindliche Mackensen-Denkmal ist renovierungsbedürftig und wurde daher mit einem Stahlgitter verkleidet. Leider mussten wir bei einem letzten Besuch im März 2016 feststellen, dass die von uns angebrachten Metalltafeln mit Namen gefallener deutscher Soldaten des Zweiten Weltkrieges gestohlen wurden. Über einen Ersatz der Tafel wird erst im Zusammenhang mit der Renovierung des Denkmals entschieden. Die Renovierung des Denkmals kann zurzeit nicht durchgeführt werden, da die serbische Seite die hierfür notwendigen Finanzmittel momentan nicht zur Verfügung stellen kann.

Im Park Kosutnjak im Südwesten Belgrads liegt die deutsche Kriegsgräberstätte BANOVO BRDO, die als deutscher Soldatenfriedhof des Ersten Weltkrieges errichtet und im Zweiten Weltkrieg durch umfangreiche Zubettungen stark erweitert wurde. Nach Abschluss eines Kriegsgräberabkommens ist der Ausbau dieser heute leider weitgehend verfallenen Gräberstätte zu einem zentralen Sammelfriedhof für deutsche Kriegstote in Serbien vorgesehen.

Zur Entstehung der Gräberstätte im Ersten Weltkrieg

Nach zwei Niederlagen der österreichisch-ungarischen Armee im August und Dezember 1914 im Feldzug gegen Serbien wurde im Oktober 1915 – auf Wunsch Bulgariens, das im September 1915 als neuer Verbündeter gewonnen werden konnte, unter deutschem Oberbefehl ein dritter Versuch unternommen, Serbien niederzuwerfen. Generalfeldmarschall August von Mackensen (+ November 1945) übernahm die Heeresgruppe und beendete den Feldzug gegen Serbien erfolgreich. Hauptschauplatz der Kämpfe waren die südwestlich von Belgrad gelegenen Höhen, die von den serbischen Truppen erbittert verteidigt wurden. Der Banovo – Berg bildete dabei eine strategische Schlüsselposition.

Nach der Einnahme Belgrads begann man sogleich mit der Errichtung eines "Deutschen Heldenfriedhofes" auf dem Banovo Brdo. Da Belegungsverzeichnisse nicht mehr vorhanden sind - sie sollen "nach Schlesien geschleppt und dort verloren gegangen sein" – kann die Anzahl der dort Bestatteten nur geschätzt werden. Rund 2600 Gefallene des Ersten Weltkrieges, darunter auch 30 serbische Kriegstote, sowie einige britische und französische Kanoniere, die später auf eigene Soldatenfriedhöfe überführt wurden, sollen hier ihre letzte Ruhestätte gefunden haben. 

Die Gestaltung des Friedhofes

Der Waldfriedhof auf dem Banovoberg erhielt seine Prägung durch eine gärtnerische Gestaltung mit Erhaltung des Baumbestandes, Strukturierung der Gräberfelder mit Einzel- und Kameradengräbern durch Plattenwege, und insbesondere die im Zusammenhang mit dem Bau des Friedhofes geschaffene einzigartige Denkmalsituation. Ein interessantes Detail bildet darüber hinaus die zu Ehren von Kaiser Wilhelm II. anlässlich seines Aufenthaltes in Belgrad im Jahre 1916 errichtete sogenannte "Mackensen – Bank", eine halbmondartige Betonbank am Rande des Friedhofes mit Ausblick zur Save, dem damaligen Grenzfluss zwischen dem Königreich Serbien und dem österreichischen Kaiser- und Königreich.

Das über eine breite Treppe erreichbare Hauptdenkmal der Anlage besteht aus einem im klassizistischen Stil gehaltenen und von einem Marmorsarkophag gekrönten Mahnmal. Es trägt die Inschrift "Das Preußische Reserve – Infanterieregiment 208 seinen gefallenen Helden". 

Eine schlichte Steinpyramide mit der Inschrift "Seinen treuen Kameraden – das 22. Reservekorps", befindet sich in einigem Abstand zum Hauptdenkmal.

Zwischen diesen beiden Baulichkeiten wurde auf Befehl des Kommandanten von Mackensen noch ein drittes Denkmal - in Form eines schlichten kubischen Steines mit einem Kreuz versehen - errichtet. Es trägt in deutscher und serbischer Sprache die Inschrift: "Hier ruhen serbische Helden". Eine Erläuterung zu der Entstehung dieses besonderen Males findet der Besucher heute auf einer Granittafel vor dem Gedenkstein, auf dem in serbischer Sprache die Worte "Denkmal für die serbischen Krieger, die den Heldentod gefunden haben, als sie im Herbst 1915 Belgrad verteidigten. Dieses Denkmal wurde ?als ein Zeichen der Ehrerbietung vor den Kriegsgegnern errichtet" zu lesen sind. 

Erweiterung des Friedhofes im Zweiten Weltkrieg

Im Zweiten Weltkrieg wurde der Soldatenfriedhof durch Anlegung neuer Parzellen um das Zweifache der alten Fläche vergrößert. Von 1941 bis 1944 bestattete die Wehrmacht laut Aussage des Friedhofsverwalters Eller, der bis zum Jahre 1944 dort tätig war, weitere schätzungsweise bis zu 2000 deutsche Soldaten auf dem nun ca. 200 x 250m großen Gelände. 

Ab dem Herbst 1944 änderte sich die Situation grundlegend; der Friedhof wurde zunehmend zurückgebaut. Ende des Jahres 1945 betteten die jugoslawischen Behörden die 30 serbischen Kriegstoten aus dem Ersten Weltkrieg aus einer kleineren Parzelle in der Mitte des nun nicht mehr gelittenen deutschen Friedhofes aus und überführten die Gebeine auf den städtischen Friedhof "Novo Groblje" zur Wiederbestattung in der "Gruft der Verteidiger Belgrads".

Bemühungen des Volksbundes um den Erhalt der Gräberstätte

Mitte der Achtziger Jahre gelang es dem Volksbund schließlich, die jugoslawische Regierung auf die Missstände, insbesondere im Hinblick auf den Zustand der Denkmäler des nun nicht mehr als Friedhof erkennbaren Geländes aufmerksam zu machen und dort auch Gehör zu finden. So konnte im Jahre 1988 tatsächlich eine Sanierung des Mahnmals des Preußischen Reserve – Infanterieregimentes 208 durch das Amt für Denkmalschutz der Stadt Belgrad erfolgen. Zugleich durften dort – auf Kosten des Volksbundes - für die 947 namentlich bekannten deutschen Gefallenen oder in Kriegsgefangenschaft Verstorbenen Bronzetafeln am Hauptdenkmal angebracht werden.

While visiting Serbian and British Military Cemetery (separate topic about it is here) in Niš I stumbled upon a new piece of the puzzle. There's a monument with a German inscription on the same lot where the Serbian collective tombs are located.
    01.jpg
    02.jpg

Den Gefallenen des Balkanfeldzuges 
    1941-1942
    zum Gedächtnis
    Hier ruhten auch 1623 soldaten
    des ersten Weltkrieges 
    bis zu ihrer im Jahre 1942 erielgter
    Überführung auf den Ehrenfriedhof 
    in Belgrad.

So 1623 soldiers who died during WW1 and were buried there were exhumed and relocated by the Germans in 1942 to Belgrade, I presume on Banovo brdo military cemetery...

There was one more German WW1 military cemetery in Niš (within the Old cemetery). Unlike the one from Delijski vis which was moved to Belgrade this one was relocated to Germany, not only the earthly remains but also the central monument. I'd like to know where exactly was it relocated, when, and how many soldiers were buried there? Does anyone have more information about it?
    It can be seen on some old postcards and photos.
    Serbien Nisch
    Helden-Friedhof
    00.JPG
    01.jpg