News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Coronation and Jubilee medals to J.J. Stolz

Hello everyone,

Recently I've been researching some parts of my wife's family history and I discovered that her Great-Grandfather, Rev. Johannes Julius Stolz, was awarded the 1953 Coronation Medal. My query is can anyone confirm this award and I think he was also awarded the 1935 Jubilee Medal and the 1937 Coronation Medal. All awards would have been made to him in Australia.

If anyone can confirm these three medal awards it would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

David 

Hello Michael,

Thank you very much for your reply to my inquiry. It is very much appreciated. Rev. Stolz was General President (equivalent of Archbishop) of the United Evangelical Lutheran Church in Australia from 1925 to 1953. Until I discovered that he had been awarded the 1953 Coronation Medal it had never occurred to me that he would have been entitled to any type of medals at all!

All the best,

David

David,

Do you know if the medals are still in the family?  They were issued un-named, although I have seen a few that were privately engraved, and one 1937 to a member of the Life Guards that was impressed.

It would be a simple matter to recreate the group.

Michael

Hello Michael,

As far as I know the medals are no longer with the family. I suspect that they were thrown out in some type of 'tidy up' after J.J. Stolz died. I am going to get the three medals that he was entitled to so that at least a representation of his awards is in the current family.

Regards,

David

My father's brother-in-law received the 1953 Coronation with the RCAF.  My mother's brother was awarded the Canadian Centennial Medal, which is with my cousin.  My aunt was awarded the 125th Anniversary of Confederation, but we couldn't find it after she died in 2001.  I have the first group, and have miniatures for my other uncle and aunt.

Michael