News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 Medal *Guidance*

Dear all,

I am new to this forum so forgive me for starting a new topic. 

I have recently found my Great Great Grandfathers WW1 medal which he gained after serving in Basra, Iraq.  

I have identified it as being 'The Allied Victory Medal' (a.k.a. Wilfred). 

The rim is impressed with the following: 3998 CARP. ISHER SINGH. WKS. DTE.  

Could anyone part any wisdom about the medal or advise where I could go to find out more?

Thank you all,

Pav Virdi 

Welcome to the GMIC, Pav.

You have very probably figured out that yourr GG Granfer was a Carpenter for the Public Works Department.  The Dept was established in 1854 by Lord Dalhousie and its' descendant organization exists today.  Both Burma's and India's PWDs had Military Works branches, run by their respecticve governments  but officered British officers of the Royal Engineers.  The Indian one was transferred to Army control in 1899, but it would not be at all surprising if members of the civilian branches were seconded to the military during WWI.  

The Indian Labour Corps made a large though generally unheralded contribution to the war effoert, serving in a number of theatres and it may well be that members of the PWD were attached to them as well.  I will see what I can dig up on this for you.  I hope this is a small start.  Below are a couple of links whihc may give you a little more general information.

http://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online.net/article/indian_labour_corps

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Public_Works_Department,_India

Peter

This site may also be of use, specifically the section on researching one's ancestors:

https://wiki.fibis.org/w/Indian_Army

Edited by peter monahan

Peter,

Thank you for messaging me, I really appreciate the knowledge!

You've given me something to work from.  If you do uncover any further information Peter I would love for you to contact again.  I will read through the pages you have forwarded.  

Once again, many thanks. 

Kind regards,

Pav

You are very welcome, Pav.  Sadly, much of the information on the old British organization of India/Pakistan was left in various local archives on the sub continent and is not readily accesible, especially to someone like myself who does not read Deva Nagri script.  However, I'll keep poking about and if I come up with anything I'll let you know.

Peter