News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cheers Darrell,

Is it true that the lappland was never officially sanctioned as a 1957 but a company making the shields ( i presume it was S & L ) made this anyway ?

Grant, I believe you are correct.

Unfortunately the manufacturers of "57" awards were a bit over enthusiastic in what they produced, even including "57" awards which never existed in wartime ( i.e. the U-Boot Frontspange in Gold etc)

Grant, I believe you are correct.

Unfortunately the manufacturers of "57" awards were a bit over enthusiastic in what they produced, even including "57" awards which never existed in wartime ( i.e. the U-Boot Frontspange in Gold etc)

Ah so that would account for the other oddities like the luft sea battle badge and the 200 class panzer , general assault and ground combat badges !

Hello Gordon

These are very nice examples. Thanks for showing them. It is it possible to tell early shields from later or even 'collectors produced' items ?

Hi Dave ,

i hope you and Gordon don't mind me butting in on this but having seen a few shields is that you can only really go off the finish , the early cholm has a frosted finish to it and is almost matt where as the later one,s are just silver . Regarding the Krim and kuban the nice early one,s are a lovely chocolate brown colour and the later one,s are almost copper in colour . If i remember rightly their is not much difference round the back regarding the pins and their position etc .

Cheers

Grant

• 6 years later...

The quality issue is the same on these shields as on other 57er's, the finish is better on earlier pieces, I have what I believe to be an early "Krim" shield with a an "antiqued finish" and four pins on a blackened rear.....also these shields are generally two thirds the size of their TR counterparts, and never came with any form of backing plate or uniform cloth ! infact they were only authorised for wear in the Bundeswehr on a ribbon bar...here is mine.....

Prost ! Steve.

Edited by SteveL