News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Query on Waffen-SS Dark-green Waffenfarbe

Guest Adlerhorst

I may have posted this question in the wrong place, as I didn't see a separate place for Waffen-SS items, so if I'm in err, I apologize. My original wartime-printed German Army book 'Der Soldatenfreund 1942' has a color chart in the back which refers to the Waffen-SS dark-green color waffenfarbe as being for: F?hrer der Reserve. The book has detailed info in the text for Army waffenfarben, as to who wore what color, etc., but has nothing about the SS colors. My question: is the Waffen-SS dark-green color for Officers only, or does it pertain also to NCO's, and/or any other enlisted personnel? "F?hrer der Reserve", to me, seems to translate to "Leaders", not just to officers. After all, the enlisted ranks Rottenf?hrer up to & including Sturmscharf?hrer are "f?hrers" also, right? Does anyone out there have an original wartime reference which explains the usage of SS waffenfarben? I also have an SS 'Der Soldatenfreund 1944', but even it has no text data on their waffenfarben.

Hello,

The SS used the same Waffenfarben as the Wehrmacht. Waffenfarben refer to Arm-of Service not rank. The dark green Waffenfarbe is either Gebirgsj?ger or Polizei.

Hardy

Guest Adlerhorst

Hardy,

thanks for the reply but you are wrong. Your blanket statement that the Waffen-SS & the Army used the same colors of waffenfarben is incorrect; what reference book are you getting your information from?? For the most part, yes, most of the colors usage was interchangeable between both services, however, for instance, I have to tell you that the maroon color in the Army is Nebelabteilung whereas in the SS it is Gerichtsdienste, & also that the dark-green color in the Army is Administration whereas in the SS it is F?hrer der Reserve. The dark-green color as used in the Waffen-SS is not for Gebirgsj?ger nor is it for Polizei. I've known that waffenfarben refers to Arm-of-Service & NOT ranks for at least 45 years; as it was in 1959 or 1960 that I got my first original WW2 German soldier's reference book from a town veteran, & in the back are color charts for many Nazi military & political services, including the Army & Waffen-SS. Underneath the dark-green color in the Waffen-SS section is the identifying caption "F?hrer der Reserve", it is not for Mountain Troops nor Polizei nor SD personnel either. My query is in questioning the "F?hrer der Reserve" identification of this dark-green color as shown right here in front of me in color, in my original German 1942-printed German soldier's reference book 'Der Soldatenfreund'. So in this case, with this particular color for the SS, you are wrong, it does in fact refer to rank. In Robin Lumsden's book "SS Regalia",on page 124, he identifies the dark-green waffenfarbe as being for "Reserve Officers". I'm in hopes that you now understand. Besides the original wartime 1942 Army "Der Soldatenfreund" reference book mentioned above, I also have the Waffen-SS soldier's 1944 "Der Soldatenfreund", also with color charts in the back. Robin L., in his book, translates the original German description "F?hrer der Reserve" as "Reserve Officers"; & so back to my original question, is this dark-green color for officers only, or did it include NCO "f?hrers" too??

Sorry, I did not understand your question. googled and found this:

Reserve officers:

Reserve officer candidates of the Waffen-SS, after taking a preparatory course and Reserve-F?hrer-Bewerber-RFB, became SS-junker der Reserve and then attended a reserve officer candidate course (Reserve-junker-Lehrg?ng), held at a special-service school of the Waffen-SS which lasted about 4 months. After the mid-term examinations they became Standartenjunker der Reserve, and after the final examinations Standartenoberjunker der Reserve. Foreign officers of the reserve (Waffen-F?hrer der Reserve) also attended the reserve officer candidate courses.

Guest Adlerhorst

Hardy,

I have to say thanks very much for the excellent research & superb information!! Good job, & thanks again.