News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Gents

a pair of collar badges. I've cleaned the one on the right a bit.

from the front.... no detail

IMG_4477.thumb.JPG.30c3308ce4e410aaa9631447a0e97d21.JPG

From the reverse.....  detail !

IMG_4481.thumb.JPG.81200f58b7ce9e97f931d466c508fe2e.JPGIMG_4478.thumb.JPG.58b186b65d4a6f23519a5aafcb954832.JPG

IMG_4485.thumb.JPG.16eae52bc2050ef0229abcfe52e278a8.JPG

in reverse it says South africa around the top but I can't suss the rest...

hope you like Gents

tony

The wording reads 'South Africa' at the top and 'Suid- Afrika' at the bottom.  This is the SA Artillery collar badge.  Worn in chrome since the 1970s, and also used as a beret badge.  There are several variants, some with the wording on the obverse.

On 27/11/2017 at 15:38, Arthur R said:

The wording reads 'South Africa' at the top and 'Suid- Afrika' at the bottom.  This is the SA Artillery collar badge.  Worn in chrome since the 1970s, and also used as a beret badge.  There are several variants, some with the wording on the obverse.

Thanks Arthur

thats good to know

May I ask, do you think then that these would have been issued as I have them? I.e. plain obverse yet detailed rear.   

Thanks again

tony

22 minutes ago, Farkas said:

May I ask, do you think then that these would have been issued as I have them? I.e. plain obverse yet detailed rear.   

That I couldn't say.  It's certainly odd, using the obverse die for a plain badge with the reverse die for a detailed badge.

1 hour ago, Arthur R said:

That I couldn't say.  It's certainly odd, using the obverse die for a plain badge with the reverse die for a detailed badge.

Yes odd isn't it.

When I first noticed the reverse detail I initially thought the front must have been rubbed plain but thought that surely the 'top' part detail would have more loss of detail too.

i hadn't thought about different die(s) until your replies so really appreciate your input Arthur 

tony

• 3 months later...
    • 2 months later...
    On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 12:21, sabadgeman said:

This was a common tactic, especially by PF instructors..... there was not a separate collar issue made with separate dies.

hi sabadgeman

only just seen your reply... thanks...

sorry if I'm a bit lacking!  would you mind expanding on your answer for me? I would like to 'understand' them...

is it that if they didn't get their own issue they were known to take others and after some alteration, like this perhaps, then use that themselves?  

cheers tony