News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Independent Researchers at the MOD archives?

Hello all - I'm interested in requesting service records for at least one British Army officer.  I can not find a death record and I think the £30 price is a bit steep for what is a gamble - if he did not pass over 25 years ago I'm afraid they would not send back any useful information.

I'm wondering if there are any independent researchers who visit the archives and can pull records?  Here in the U.S. when requesting such information we are similarly limited if we are not next of kin.  Requesting direct from the records center ranges from $35 to $75 and you never know if it will be useful information.  So, I use a researcher/collector friend who is reliable and knows what to look for.  Does anyone do this in the U.K.?  Is it allowed?  Would this yield more useful information?

Thanks for the help,

Robert

As far as I am aware the only way to obtain records for British Army officers whose service papers are not at The National Archives is to spend the £30 and have MOD send the papers - researchers do not have access to those records.  If you post your officers name members may be able to assist you.

Dick Flory