News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW2 GERMAN FIELD EQUIPMENT:

Hallo Gentlemen :beer:

while moving some stuff in my garage I came across a Russian rucksack full of German Field equipment that I had picked up at Fleamarkets while living in Kempten, in the Allg?u, Bavaria, you know the usual field-gear, which when tipped out onto the floor amounted to something like 10 waterbottles, 2 Affe field-packs, gasmask containers, 1 Rucksack 6 breadbags, all from differeant years and makes.

Among the mess-tins is the following item:

PRISONER OF WAR (P.O.W.) MESS TIN, ART WORK.

This item is in my collection, it is outside my main collecting area of medals but nevertheless an interesting item, whereas thousands of items passed through the hands of the men and women in the Armed Forces on all sides during the WW2 conflict, what makes this piece unique is that it has been personalized by its owner.

The item started life as an ordinary Wehrmacht two-part Mess tin, its original colour being a dark green, with some of the original paint remains, on the handle of the lid, with an overspray of brown and black in camo. The rest of the mess-tin?s paint has been sanded down to the bare aluminum.

Starting with the lid, the words have been hammered with the point of a sharp object

?Heilbronn? 13. 5. 45

Arthur Sommer

?Voves? (Frankr.) 28. 6. 45. [Frankreich, German for France.]

Around the kidney shaped top of the tin is marked an intricate design of stylized ?s? and small semi-circles.

The Green-Brown-Black handle has the stamp H R E 42. on the outside, and the letter ?A? [for Arthur] scratched on the inside near the hinge.

The main body of the container as you look at it from the front has the word ?ULLR? in capital letters and a depiction of a bearded man on skis with a tree branch over the right shoulder, in the background are Christmas trees and mountains. This "ULLER" character turns up regularly with conection to Gebergsjager items, & 1930 Skiing competions.

In the center (covered by the handle of the mess-kit top) the inter-twined initials of A S.

To the right side ?Heimat der Berge? beneath this a Edelweiss flower,

And in a scroll the words ?Berg Heil.?

And under that the word ?Allg?u? (which is an area of Bavaria along the South-western border with Austria, leading down and around the German side of Lake Constance.

On the right side of the base is engraved the number 1264921 either a POW number or his military service number.

I dont know if it is possible to track his history by using the nimber maybe some of the Gentlemen could suggest something.

MORE PHOTOS WILL BE ADDED IN REPLY'S.

Over the next few days I would like to post some of the field-equipment I have, including a couple of objects totaly altered from their original design, one of which that was used for something else in postwar Bavaria.

If any of the Gentlemen have any similar personalised items of German or Axis field-gear please feel free to add them here, If you have any Allied items please start a seperate post, as to prevent confusion.

Kevin in Deva.

Edited by Kev in Deva

PRISONER OF WAR (P.O.W.) MESS TIN, ART WORK.

MORE PHOTOS WILL BE ADDED IN REPLY'S.

Over the next few days I would like to post some of the field-equipment I have, including a couple of objects totaly altered from their original design, one of which that was used for something else in postwar Bavaria.

If any of the Gentlemen have any similar personalised items of German or Axis field-gear please feel free to add them here, If you have any Allied items please start a seperate post, as to prevent confusion.

Kevin in Deva.

On the right side of the base is engraved the number 1264921 either a POW number or his military service number.

Hi Kev, looks like Arthur was in a Gebirgsj?ger unit he was taken to the American POW camp in Heilbronn (my father and was there as well as a POW) first then was transfered to a camp in France.

the # 1264921 I belive is a Feldpostnummer and was scratched in the mess tin before the POW-camp-art a common way to mark personal gear. Will check later tonight what unit carried that FPN.

All the Best Hardy

Hi Kev, looks like Arthur was in a Gebirgsj?ger unit he was taken to the American POW camp in Heilbronn (my father and was there as well as a POW) first then was transfered to a camp in France.

the # 1264921 I belive is a Feldpostnummer and was scratched in the mess tin before the POW-camp-art a common way to mark personal gear. Will check later tonight what unit carried that FPN.

All the Best Hardy

Hallo Hardy, :beer: Free beer for you for the quick reply and information :beer: course you gotta travel to Transylvania to get it :P:cheers:

Have you any information with regards ULLR ?? I have a medal with this name on it depicting a man on skis with a cross-bow and on the rear an Edelweiss!! I was told its a Mountain Unit's unofficial medal?

Many thanks again. :jumping::jumping:

Kevin in Deva.