News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW2 German bizzare tank projects and prototypes

Here are some other strange vehicles. I have the mention that there is a little misconception, some of the tanks from this whole story have been attributed to the German designers, but they have never been planned, at least in Germany during the war. First examples are some fake images from that period or are modern-made:

-fake-GWE-100.jpg

-fake-Pz.VI_with_Tiger_turret.jpg

-fake-Photoshopped_E-100.jpg

-fake-E-25.jpg

German_Jagdpanzer_E-100_1.jpg

p2 (2).jpg

-fake-_E-90.jpg

-fake-JTE-100.jpg

-fake-FlakpanzerE-75.jpg

-fake-FlakpanzerMaus.jpg

b1c69b3dff73465fc8cd20b7f392effe.jpg

jagdleopard_by_alternathistory-d8ommin.jpg

72d4bb48ec6948727b1d1969e0156770.jpg

alternative_heavy_tank_pzkpfw_e_100_ausf__b__by_alternathistory-db2yd15.jpg

p1 (4).jpg

geschutzwagen_vi_tiger_by_nicksikh-d3kgp5p.jpg

220px-IWM_(STT_9103).jpg

p1 (5).jpg

p1 (6).jpg

p1 (7).jpg

p1 (8).jpg

p1 (9).jpg

p1 (10).jpg

Edited by Morar Andrei

• 1 month later...

Flakpanzer IV Kugelblitz

Nach einer Erprobung auf dem Truppenübungplatz Ohrdruf  soll mindestens ein Exemplar noch zum Fronteinsatz gekommen sein. Der Einsatz dieses Panzers erfolgte bei Abwehrkämpfen um Spichra, offensichtlich auf direkten Befehl des Gauleiters Sauckel. Im Zuge des Vorrückens amerikanischer Truppenteile im April 1945 gerieten die dortigen deutschen Stellungen unter Dauerbeschuss. Dabei erhielt der Flakpanzer einen Treffer, wodurch sein Turm weggeschleudert wurde und bis zu seiner Bergung im Jahr 1999 an einem Hang dort liegen blieb. Dieser Turm soll sich in der Sammlung des Militärhistorischen Museums Dresden in einem nicht zugänglichen Teil befinden.

The Kugelblitz was not yet out of development when the war ended. Only five prototypes were built.  Several evaluation vehicles had been built, but it is unclear how many. It is also unclear what happened to the few Kugelblitzes which were built; some sources say that they ended up being used in the Battle of Berlin

One Kugelblitz was also involved in the fights near the town of Spichra, Thuringia, where it was destroyed and remained buried in the Spatenberg hill until its excavation in 1999.

Bit of info in German and English on the Kugelblitz.                                                                                                       Regards Eddie.                                                                                                                                                                                   

Edited by Taz

Very interesting information!

Two vehicles made me curios since I've seen them: the Begleitwagen I (Rhm) and II. What are thse tanks and what is known about them? I guess that Rhm stands for "Rheinmettal" and K for "Krupp". They look like Panzer IVs, but have the bottom half very strange.

Same thing I want to say about the " Panzer V Ausf D 'Leopard' - 75L48" from, supposedly, November 1942 Ukraine. It looks like a longer Panzer IV, with tracks similar to the VK 30.01. Was that a real tank prototype or a fake? Which is its story?

The Begleitwagen I(Rh) was Rheinmetall's design in the competition for the upcoming Panzerkampfwagen IV design. Ultimately, Rheinmetall's design failed, as the suspension was taken from the earlier Neubaufahrzeug V(Rh) / VI(K) tanks. Krupp's version was much more modern and suited the role given by the German army.

Variants

Begleitwagen I(Rh) VK20.01(Rh) - Rheinmetall's design

Begleitwagen I(K) VK20.01(K) - Krupp's design.

Begleitwagen I(MAN) VK20.01(MAN) - MAN's design.

Begleitwagen II(K) - Krupp's more advanced design.

Begleitpanzer I(Rh)

General Data

Type -  Medium Tank 

Place of Origin - Germany (Third Reich)

Designed by - Rheinmetall AG

Designed - 1934 - 1935

Manufacturer(s)  - Rheinmetall AG

Number Built - At least 1

Designations  - VK20.01(Rh)

Company Designation - Bataillonsführerwagen

Developed From - Neubaufahrzeug V(Rh)

Armament

Main Gun(s) - 7,5cm KwK 37 L/24

Coaxial Gun - 7.92x57mm MG 34

Armour Min/Max - 15-30mm

Misc Specs

Crew - 6

Dimensions

Weight - 18t

Length - 5.92m

Width - 2.9m

Height - 2.65m

Automotive

Engine - Maybach HL 100TR

Engine Characteristics - 300hp

Operational Range - 150km

Speed - 30km/h

Regards Eddie

Edited by Taz

VK6501

The fourth picture down that has no designation  is the VK6501 (also known as Panzerkampfwagen VII or Henschel SW)

Weight: 65 tons
    Crew: 5
    Armour: 80mm all around, DW turret (80mm Mantlet)
    Engine: 600hp Maybach HL224
    Maximum speed: 20km/h
    Armament: 75mm L/24, 75mm L/40, 105mm L/20

• 2 weeks later...

Same thing I want to say about the " Panzer V Ausf D 'Leopard' - 75L48" from, supposedly, November 1942 Ukraine. It looks like a longer Panzer IV, with tracks similar to the VK 30.01. Was that a real tank prototype or a fake? Which is its story?

This is in my opinion fake. Panzer V would i assume be the Panzerkampfwagen V „Panther“ (Sd.Kfz. 171) which this tank bears no simularities whatsoever.

Regards Eddie

Yeah, I would think so. It looks very strange. Something that mifht have been in German style, but still a fake tank.

That's why I mentioned in thus topic that I will present rare, strange or fake tanks that were considered German by origin. We can make a short list of possible fakes in my images:

- Panzer V Asf D "Leopard"

- Panther II (possibly)

- Flakpanzer E100 "Alligator"

- Jagdpanzer E100 (the 2009 design that appears in World of Tanks - the much more plausible one - if there was one - would have been on the design of the Jagdpanther)

- E-90 Bison / Tiger III L

- Jagpanzer E90

- Flakpanzer E50

- Jagdpanzer Leopard

- Panzer IX

- Panzer IV with Tiger turret

- Panzer IV with Schumaturm turret

If there is any other one, please help me complete the list.

Some variants were planned.

Upgunned Krupp Maus turret with a 150 mm KwK 44 gun. 

E-100 Ausf. B with improved turret.

StuG E-100 Krokodil with a 174 mm gun.

Flakpanzer  E-100 with dual 88 mm anti-aircraft guns.

Edited by Taz

I haven't seen the VK Leopard listed there. Honestly, now I'm confused what to belive or not. It wiuld be indeed a bit exagerated to call proposed projects as fakes. But I still think they got right about some tanks, didn't they?

Edited by Morar Andrei

Gefechtsaufklärer E-10 Leopard is that sites name for it and it was  actually planned.

I imagine that some are made up yes,  but to call Tanks that have blueprints and or parts actually built, fake is not really correct.

Personally, I thought for a long time that many tanks from Wargaming's game World of Tanks are just made-up to complete the gaps in their 10-tiers tech tree system, especially when talking about premium vehicles, such as the Skorpion G project from Rheinmettal. But I found out it was an actual tank design from 1943, but not used.

• 2 months later...