News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all,

I just purchsed a Victory Medal that post to be named to (I haven't received the medal) pte. R.W.Holmes SAI. I have second thoughts about about that SAI part:

I swap thinking can it be 1352 Robert Wilson Holmes, 2nd Rhodesia Regiment KIA 11 March 1916 in Kenya age 50 (!!!). Born in Ireland.

Can some of you please confirm that his medal was probably named to SAI. In thus case also what that unit did and where they engaged the enemy on the 11th of March where Robert lost his life?

Thanking you in advance,

Timo

SAI could be South African Infantry, or South African Irish Regiment, although the National Archives site show the abbreviations for these units differently  https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwiwicjUtZbaAhXHe8AKHag0ALYQFggnMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nationalarchives.gov.uk%2Fdocuments%2Frecords%2Fabbreviations-in-world-war-one-medal-index-cards-unit.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2F7XSDOgHy8GRlugku0bu-

This source also shows a unit called Rhodesian South African Infantry Brigade, abreviation RHODNS. S.A.I. BGDE. This is a lot to get on the edge of a medal after number, rank and name, so may have been shortened to SAI?

The link downloads a .pdf file.

Bill

Edited by Bilco
    link info

Thanks Bill

I actually checked BWM roll again and like others on the same page, there is a note on the Remarks column - Will be claimed by S.A.Inf.b'de.

It could be the case then!