News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Russia st. george 4 class

obi007

• 5 months later...
    11 hours ago, Alpha Draconis said:

Hello Jeff

Do you meen the numbers on the reverse? Many of these were not numbered, but still original pieces...

Best regards

Joseph

Hi Joseph. Thanks.

Yes, also the 4 CTEII at the base. Was this sometimes omitted too ?

Edited by Jeff Mc William

The numbers are impressed, and yes, there is a correct font. But fakers today make very good correct font!!!

The older versions 19ct. medals had different correct font than the 20ct. medals, so there is some variations of correct font depending of the age...

Regarding the 4 step you mentioned, the first and second degree crosses in gold or gold metal are marked 1 step and 2 step, the other two grades in silver or white metal are marked 3 step and 4 step

Best regards

2 hours ago, Alpha Draconis said:

The numbers are impressed, and yes, there is a correct font. But fakers today make very good correct font!!!

Hi again Joseph

Yes, that's what worries me. I would be devastated to pay £300 to £400 only to discover later it was a fake !  Ideally I suppose a hallmarked example like obi's would be best … tho' I see from various auction catalogues that most are not. Also the weight seems to vary from 6.7g to 10.6g, 11.45g, and 16.3g, most confusing. Anyway, many thanks for your kind help. I shall continue my research until I feel confident enough to make a purchase. Regards Jeff

Many years ago Eugene Mollo published a monograph on the cross of distiction of the Military Order of St George much of which is reproduced ib Werlichs book on Russian Orders and Decorations. It gave the years/number tally amongst other info and is still a useful basic bit of info. The Ww1 white metal crosses are fenerally problem free and inexpensive. Always buy from a reputable dealer or auction house as you do have a comeback if there are any problems. Beware of certain on line sites who are often the fakers friend (you know who i mean). The civil war issues provide a legion of varieties both Russian  and European manufacture which can keep one amused for years.

Thats my puloushkas worth.

Paul